1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

saved my neighbors chickens and would like to know more about them to properly care for them

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jonathansuperpa, May 12, 2016.

1. Jonathansuperpa

Jonathansuperpa New Egg

May 12, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    They look like young cockerels. .. coop grower feed and water... they'll need a roost in coop

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks to me like you have two males and one female. Breed won't have any impact on how you care for them here. The sex of the birds is going to be your sticking point. Life is going to get very hard for that single female when the two males start feeling hormonal and she's still too young to know what's going on, and it's two on one. You'll need to separate her from them, that will help a lot.

4. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington

There's a third chicken there lol my old eyes

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI

2x

1 person likes this.
  6. Jonathansuperpa

Jonathansuperpa New Egg

May 12, 2016
    The darker colored male was a road island red and the red one was a buff. They grew really fast and it was very clear they where male as the gizzard showed up. I'm not allowed to have rooster where I live so I had no choice to rehome them. Although the kind farmers at tiny *** farm actually gave us a road island red pullet and a

7. Jonathansuperpa

Jonathansuperpa New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Leghorn

8. Jonathansuperpa

Jonathansuperpa New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Now the little black hen we kept the day after we dropped off the males she laid a brown egg. I know it's hers because the leghorn would have laid a whit egg and the road island red is still a little ways from laying an egg that size... when I floated the egg it was fine and examined the bullseye on the yolk. I decided to adjust the brooder I had to 99.5 degrees with about 50% humidity to incubate the eggs and find who had been the cooperate to knock up my baby hen lol just kidding. But will be interesting to see a little life brought into this world as a sign of accomplishment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by