Saved some ducks, have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by caring4birds, Mar 21, 2015.

1. caring4birds

caring4birds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Portland, OR
    First, I want to say thank you to this forum. Over the last two weeks since we found these ducks, Google keeps bringing me back here to get the answers to my questions. You've even already helped one with wry neck heal!

Back story; we live right next to a creek full of mallards, widgeons, visiting wood ducks, Canadian geese, and coyotes looking for food. Every once in a while someone thinks it's a good idea to dump their pet ducks at the creek, and so my daughter and I catch them and find good homes for them.

Two weeks ago someone dumped a pair of baby White Crested Ducks. They were all white downy feathers, with a bit of smooth adult type feathers on their chest and stomach. Over the last two weeks they have gotten a lot of mature feathers in, but still have down on their backs and necks. They are larger than the adult mallards. They both quack pretty well, one makes a slight whistle with his quack, but they still make little chick peeping sounds a lot.

I'm wondering how old they might be?

As for the guy with wry neck...he was malnourished and very small. He's been on a duck start food, vitamin E, and getting neck massages. He holds his head upright most of the time now and I'm hoping he makes a full recovery, though I have no idea how long he was like that before he started getting treated.

Any advice anyone has to offer, or guesses at ages would be great! We will end up finding a home for these guys, but want to get them healthy first.

P.S. They are very bonded with each other, getting out of each other's sight means an ear piercing quacking fest.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. caring4birds

Mar 21, 2015
    Portland, OR
    The ducks.The one with the crest has the wry neck.

[​IMG]

3. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Probably near 8 weeks. Can you post pictures of both? First 4 weeks use duckling starter, next 4 weeks use duck grower and after that use finisher/maintenance feed. (Don't know if you know that) Brewers yeast will help with leg problems. Also Sav-a-chick powders.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/382088/wry-neck-treat-or-euthanize-updated-with-great-results-wry neck

crested pekins... they get big.

I'm just gonna add you are amazing people! And thank you for what you do to help dumped ducks! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. caring4birds

Mar 21, 2015
    Portland, OR
    The thread you just linked, plus others has really helped me treat him!

I wondered about their size. I've seen adult Pekins before, they are huge. It makes sense with the size of these guys.

Here's a comparison shot with wild mallards.

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww they are adorable and bless you for taking them in and helping them. Looks like the one with wry neck is making a good recovery. Makes me livid to hear someone would dump these precious ducks. Please keep us updated on how they are doing. Hope you find them an awesome forever home.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title you may have already read these if so excuse.

6. caring4birds

Mar 21, 2015
    Portland, OR

He seems to be doing great. He doesn't fall over as often, and he does stretch his neck and hold it straight. He seems to be worse off in the mornings, like he's stiff from sleep.

7. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

Glad to hear it, also welcome to the flock. Yah they are huge! Perhaps someone on site will adopt them.

8. caring4birds

Mar 21, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Thank you both for the links too. I've read a lot, but I'm sure there's threads I've missed.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great news. Who ever adopts these ducks needs to be aware 2 crested should never be breed together the crested gene is lethal an can cause death or serious birth defects in off spring. You say he on the one do you know for a fact what sex they are? Because I'd say too young for the curled tail feather. maybe by now the quack would give them away.

10. caring4birds

Mar 21, 2015
    Portland, OR

"He" is just a general term I guess, we've tried to tell by their quacks because we can't find a feather, but I think they're too young still, too many baby sounds mixed in. We are leaning toward male though because of the slight whistle he has when he quacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by