1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saved Two Cute Chicks♥

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mouaorientalroost, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mouaorientalroost

mouaorientalroost Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    California
    [​IMG]

These two sweet orphan chicky, I saved them from my mother's hen, because she doesn't know how to brood them. She steps all over them and literally pecks at the baby chick legs, so I asked my mom to separate them. She told me she doesn't have time to lamp only two small baby chickens, because she's busy with her acres of garden, so I decided to take them and brood them myself, because they are so small, fragile, and one of the chick was limping, so if I leave them with their mother long enough they will both die (I always say: "Save what can be saved"), because the hen started out with 6 baby chicks and ended up with two, because the mother kept on stepping on them. I guess all hens are not always meant to be mothers (my mom says shes going in the pot...eheh). Well I separated them from their mother on 11/08/11, so let's see how cute they will grow up to be [​IMG]

Breed: Sumatra MIX

(UPDATE 11/16/11: THEY BOTH ARE EATING WELL AND THE ONE THAT'S BEEN LIMPING HAS HEALED, I'M VERY HAPPY)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Awww!

3. Kickin.Cowgirl

Kickin.Cowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    Wow so cute!!! [​IMG]

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    So cute! Glad to hear they're doing good!

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    awesome be cool to see what they look like grown sumatras are really sweet looking bird

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Aw, good job! Glad you saved them [​IMG]

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

They are very cute! Glad you saved them! [​IMG]

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    GOOD for you. I guess there is a lesson in this that the animals of the household can and should be looked after by all who live there.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

LIttle cuties. Good for you for saving them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by