Saved two new chickens from a slaughter house!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by riley grapes, Aug 1, 2008.

1. riley grapes

riley grapes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Woho! This week I got a Buff orpington and a rhode island red from a slaughter house and they're already getting used to me! I also got 8 chicks and their combs are already growing in! All in all, things are doing great out here and I can finally get to raise chickens of my own.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    good for saving them

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:From the slaughter house?!?!

Where they someone's extra roosters, or what? I don't understand why they were at the slaughter house..

How did you "get them"? Buy them, were given them, or what?

LOL. For some reason I just find it strange that there was an RIR and a BO at the slaughterhouse!

Good for you, that's quite a find.

-Kim

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:I agree with Kim, those breeds are not found at slaughterhouses. Its usually Cornish X and the ex-battery hens....

5. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I agree with Kim, those breeds are not found at slaughterhouses. Its usually Cornish X and the ex-battery hens....

I asked that on another thread and was told that in other countries they do not use the Cornish X as much as we Americans do.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Cornish X are standard in other countries, though they try to use hens more than roos bc of the feed costs.
    RIR and Orps are not standard at commercial slaughterhouses anywhere.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm wondering if it was more of a private processor where they will butcher animals from the public. Like what some members do here, they'll haul their birds up to a processor instead of doing it themselves. If this is the case, the birds are most likely extra roosters or older hens. LOL. Or just one of those "odd" cases...

I read/hear "slaughter house" and immediately think of the processing plants. You know, the ones that are highly automated and usually do the commercial broilers.

Good for giving them a good home.

-Kim

8. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I hope someone from New Zealand responds because either I have gone crazy( very possible) or someone told me that they don't use the Cornish xs as much there.[​IMG] Because I asked why the photos of the chickens that were saved from a processor looked like buff orps.[​IMG]

I will look for that thread. Maybe I misread the response.

9. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Okay, I have completly lost my mind. [​IMG]

I can not find the thread I mentioned anywhere![​IMG]

Honestly, when I asked about the looks of the saved chickens, one of the posters reminded me that not everyone on this forum was from America and that things were done differently overseas.(The poster was much nicer then that)

10. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I believe Canada uses Hubbard Xs but they are still mammoth like our Cornish Xs...what I am basically trying to say is that if it was in fact a Buff O, it was, like Kim said, from a private person not a commercial slaughter house.

Either way though, two chickens are saved and thats awesome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by