saving eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FogHornLegHornWV, Aug 15, 2011.

1. FogHornLegHornWV

FogHornLegHornWV Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    How long can you save eggs before putting in incubator?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    As long as you want! Some people on here have hatched eggs that were over a month old. I've experimented a bit and had pretty good hatches with eggs that were over 3 weeks old. But if you want to maximise your hatches, it's probably best to set eggs that are no older than ten days. Most folk on here will tell you that fertility starts to drop off sharply after 7 days, which is probably entirely correct, but if you read up on how to store them properly, you can really improve your chances of getting older eggs to hatch out successfully.

I would collect mine and wash them immediately in a dilute bleach solution and rinse them off under hot water. Then I would dry them with kitchen towel and after that I wouldn't touch them at all with my bare fingers. I would always pick them up with a piece of fresh kitchen towel. I would store them fat end up in egg cartons in a cool room and tip them side to side a couple of times a day. Doing that I got a well above 60% hatch rate with eggs between 14 and 24 days old...

3. FogHornLegHornWV

FogHornLegHornWV Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by