Saving Money on Chicken Feed??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WhitneyG, Dec 30, 2014.

1. WhitneyG

WhitneyG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Hi - does anyone have any ideas on how to save money on chicken feed? I only have 10 chickens, but I'm starting to go through about one bag of feed a week! They are all hens and lay quite a few eggs, but still - I think it's kind of getting expensive. Any ideas appreciated!!

2. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Use pellets and use rodents proof feeder
    Also some chicken breeds are lighter on feed than others "leghorns"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    What size bag are you buying?

4. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Do u have 15 lbs weighting Jersey Giants?

5. WhitneyG

Dec 3, 2013
    I think 50 lb. bags... and I could let them outside, but I live in MN so everything's dead...

6. WhitneyG

Dec 3, 2013
    Nope - I have RIR, Silkies, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, and more...

7. RR1011

RR1011 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Ohio
    Im new to chickens and still just reading, but have you seen the posts about growing sprouts for your chickens?

8. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    The surest way to reduce feed costs is to feed them twice a day, morning and evening. Have multiple feed stations so everyone gets a chance to eat and only feed as much as they can eat in 20-30 minutes. It will take some trial and error to get the amounts right. But don't have a feeder out 24/7 full of feed. They will waste it and it will attract rodents, which bring disease and eat your feed. You could over feed them in the morning see how much they have left before the evening meal (1-2 hours before they go to roost) and then just feed them less for dinner. If there is any feed leftover when they go to roost, then you know you fed them that much too much.

You could also ferment or moisten their feed. The wet feed will be harder for them to fling around and waste it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. new at chicken

new at chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2014
    Do any of you know how much turkey pellets go for and were they sell them at I live in naples.

10. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Not sure what breed you have but that seems like an excessive amount of feed!
    check how your feeders are, hang them if they are on the ground so it's not getting scratched out and rodents can't get to them.
    Do you give them kitchen scraps? Any green waste will help stretch their feed, rake any leaves to throw in the run, you said everything is dead but if you had lawn clippings you could throw that in too. If you don't have snow let them out, they will find food anywhere!

I've also seen mention of fermenting feed makes it last longer but I haven't looked into it further and not sure how it all works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by