Savlon???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shell3, Feb 22, 2013.

1. shell3

shell3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    Hi, please can anyone tell me if i can safely use savlon and savlon wound wash spray on a chicken? i know everyone says neosporin cream but we dont have that in England :( i dont know what english version is but we use savlon antiseptic cream for everything here. my chicken broke a toe nail a couple days ago, it bled a tiny bit, not much and stopped as soon as i washed it. i just used warm water and dunked her foot using cotton wool to dab away dirt. ive ordered some poultry wound powder but its still not come! ive been bandaging it and rinsing it daily. today i checked it looks dry just a tiny pink bit of flesh showing on the end. ive taken the bandage off to let it air and shes outside. should i have left the bandage off? should i wash and rebandage it? can i use savlon wound wash liquid to clean it and finally!!! will it grow back?
    thanks

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I would say that if it's a topical and it doesn't have a "caine" in it --it should be fine for your Chickens. It's more of a cleanser type antibiotic and doesn't appear to have a "mycin", "sporin" or "fungal component" which makes up the effective ingredients in Bacitracin, Neosporin, etc. It's an astringent or more like a "cleanser" type antibiotic.

3. shell3

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    thanks bogtown x didnt think anyone would answer this one.
    think im gonna order some neosporin and get it shipped.
    i read on some other sites that savlons safe for chickens but
    i only really trust this site lol i was getting desperate cos bombie broke
    a toe nail! ended up just using warm water to bathe it everyday and bandaging
    but its been a week and bandage is off now and it looks fine.
    broke just on the flesh bit so not much bleeding and think its growing back.
    neosporin would be good for first aid box thou. xxx
    btw steve read your post before me and said blimey i think a
    chemist has awnswered you! lol xx

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Shell: Too funny. I wish I was a pharmacist. Cha-ching. $$$

Anyhow I PM'd you about the antibiotic ointment you want to order.

5. shell3

May 14, 2012
    Hertfordshire England
    "Shell: Too funny. I wish I was a pharmacist. Cha-ching. $$$" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by