Saw a fox in my garden.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Olly, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Olly

Olly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    So yesterday while I was in my garden shed a saw a fox run across the back of my garden then return again 5 minutes later. It's not uncommon for foxes to be around here, i live in a Pretty rural area so I know they're about I've just never seen one in my garden.
    Where it ran across is about 40 metres from my chickens but I did notice it stop and look directly at the chickens.

Currently my girls are in a perfectly secure coop I've dug chicken wire around the perimeter of thier coop and they're locked up at night. I guess I'm just posting this to see if people have any advice on making sure the fox doesn't get brave and come this end of the garden? Free ranging was my intention after I got them settled but Im worried to even leave them unsupervised, in their not so secure run, now.

Thanks In advance. Olly

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    He will come closer now that he knows they are there. and where there is one fox there are more ususly a mate and kits. I lost 14 poultry in 10 days to a fox. I got an outside dog!!

3. Olly

Olly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Yeah I was worried about that, I can't really get a dog due to my family not wanting one. With Chickens it was hard enough to convince them lol.

I've been urinating around the coop as I've heard it helps keep them away for a while, I think my best option is going to be building a taller fence really. : /

Sorry to for your loss, that must have been one greedy fox!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by