Saw a fox outside this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The dog bout went through the window! Just after the roo started to crow there was this fox about ten feet from the coop. I let the dog out and that took care of the fox... for now!

It was just dawn when this happened. How likely is a fox to come back in daylight? I neer see them here during the day! But, they never had cause to come before!

2. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    very likely.....they dont care what time of day it is..they know you have chickens they will be back at all hours trying to get them!
    ETA make sure your dog has his rabies shot if he's going after the fox!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    This is probably the time of year when the babies are eatting more and getting big enough to hunt. It is unlikely that they will return in broad daylight, but this time of year they push the dawn/dusk envelope, especially if it is overcast.

4. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    Quote:i have to disagree about them not returning in the daylight...if they are hungry and know she has chickens they will be back regardless of the time...
    have had it happen here...all day long on some days.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I stopped and watched after a fox ran across the road in front of my truck two days ago. It was broad daylight and he was out in the middle of miles of open space. Beautiful animals! I am trusting my own dog to keep them away from my chickens but realize that foxes are just out to get their own meal. I only free range my chickens when I'm home and can keep an eye on things because of all the predators around here.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Dogs got her shots. She's been known to catch groundhogs and the occasional rabbit. I only let my chooks free range when we are home and "around". But around can get pretty far from the house. I would love to let the dog just wander, but she's not too good about not catching the chicks too. [​IMG]

She doesn't eat them, but she brings them to me. Once the chicks didn't survive the retrieval.. Also, my neighbors have chickens and I need to keep my dog leashed, unless she's with me. I wish I could train her not to chase the chooks, she'd be a good guard for all the flocks!

Any advice for keeping the foxes away?

Chirpy, the one I saw was very pretty, she's a very pale red. I've never seen one so pale!

7. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Maybe look into an invisible fence for your dog so it will stay on your property. Might do the part of the trick. But to stop it from killing chickens, you may have more difficulty.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have heard many times that having men/boys pee around your coop/run can deter some predators (foxes included). I have no scientific back-up for that but it does make sense and it's free.... so I encourage my guys to do it. Can't hurt and it may very well help.

Of course, if you are in town or have neighbors you need to have them go out after dark... hate to get those indecent exposure calls! [​IMG]

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Chirpy my DH needed NO encouragement in this arena! He feels it is his personal responsibility to mark our entire boundary! All ten acres! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He marked the coops months ago! I could tell him to remark his territory! [​IMG]

As for the dog, ten acres is prohibitively expensive to fence in any manner. I want to fence in an acre or three at some point, but there are higher priorities!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    is there some kind of fox repellent?..like..some other animals urine smell, that you can buy somewhere?..i dont know if that works though...Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by