Saw blood when injecting Tylan

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Nov 21, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I have been giving my chicken with MG Tylan 50 for 4 days now. The first 3 days I have her 1/2 ml morning and night. Today and tomorrow I'm only giving 1/2 ml once a day. I am inexperienced in giving shots to anything, so this was new to me. I saw many videos a and read articles on how to give a chicken a shot, and everything has been fine; until today. I read there wasn't supposed to be blood when giving Tylan, but after injecting when I drew out the needle blood came out. Not much, but enough to be concerned... Will she be ok? (I injected the breast muscle next to the Brest bone)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Any injection can cause bleeding at the site of injection. What you don't want is to draw back on the syringe and get blood, which would mean that you could be in a vein or worse, the heart. Tylan should only be injected 1/4 inch deep in chickens. After an injection, apply pressure with a finger at the site for a minute in case of bleeding.

3. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Thank you so much. She is still alive (thank goodness...) So I don't think I got her in a vein or the heart, as she would probably be dead by now... And the needle I have been using is specifically for chickens and is about as long as a short fingernail. I've been injecting it half way in. Thank you so much for your help Eggcessive. You have always been a life saver!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by