1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

saw dust and baby chick's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bluedog420, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    has anyone used sawdust as a bedding for baby chick's??..I need an answer fast, as they hatching out as we chat....lol [​IMG]

2. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    I am no expert by any means, but it seems I read somewhere that they could eat the sawdust and get sick (?)....but I've seen it in pullet pens, so I have no idea. I'm sorry I'm no help, but hope you get an answer, as my chics are arriving on Monday! [​IMG]

3. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Since you didn't get an answer - don't do it. Iwould think it's too fine..
    dusty- breathing it in
    tasty looking- eating it...

esp if it's treated.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think they would eat it. Use paper towels or puppy pads for at least a few days. I use puppy pads for the first week. Newspaper the second week and pine shavings after that. I wouldn't use saw dust at all. It is too fine. They'll eat it. It's just not worth the risk.

5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We use both sawdust and shavings for our chicks and do not have problems. In fact we "dump" the chicks in the brooder with no special treatment other than providing feed, water, and shavings bedding.

Jim

6. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I thought about getting saw dust from our local mill, until I did some reading. Using shavings is fine, but the dust is too fine. They will eat it, and from what I read, it can cause breathing problems because the particulate is so fine. It scared me enough to go to TSC and buy the $5 bag of shavings instead of going to the mill for the $5 truck load of dust.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Blue, I would not use the saw dust. What i do is get pine shavings and cover it with paper towels for a week, then they can be on the shavings. Good luck on your hatch.[​IMG][​IMG]:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by