saw dust in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erindubb, Jun 24, 2010.

1. erindubb

erindubb Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hi - I was wondering if I can use saw dust in the coop instead of shavings? I have bags full that I can get from my dad.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is awfully dusty, and tends to mat solid in an undesirable way. You can try it but you may well find it doesn't work well. (Depends a lot on the exact nature of the particular batch of sawdust, though)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. tylermckee

tylermckee In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    If he uses a jointer, thickness planer, router, or hand plane a lot then it could be good, otherwise most machines just make powdery dust. So like pat said it depends on the bag and what he was doing.

4. razmond

razmond In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Seattle
    And maybe a side note.... without any validation.... is that it might contain chemicals/preservatives that may not be healthy for the girls. It might just make them sneeze. I used to work in a wood working shop and wanted to take the shavings away too, to have have in the garden, but with pressure treated wood and so forth, decided against it as I didn't want to ingest it myself... [​IMG]

It was about $10 for 10 cubic feet which (for my 5x7 coop) should last a while... but I applaud your recycling idea.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: