Saw huge racoon tonight, is this a shoot on site critter, wait and see

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickboss, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    So that is about it, do I kill it for just being here, not too far off from my birds, or wait to see if it was passing through? It was HUGE. TIA.

Edit to say: Going to kill it, so no need to post anymore "kill it" posts. However, if you have any good recipes for racoon, please post 'em "cause if I catch it I'm going to try it. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How secure is your coop?

3. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    3 out of the four are very secure, the other is in need of some updating.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If your coop needs updating and he hangs around he'll probably do some remodeling for you and not in a good way. In the long run you're better off securing the coop because shortly after you remove him another one will take his place. If you can't get your coop coon proof in short order though (electric fence is great and not too expensive) I'd probably shoot on sight.

If he's as big as you think he is the next one to come along will probably not be as wily and strong as a coon of that age/size is likely to be. While chances are good that he's been around your area for awhile and not botherd you I don't know if that is because you just recently got your birds or if he's smart enough to stay away unless he gets desperate....

As you can probably tell I get divided about this aspect of pred. control too. I don't typically do "preventive maintenence" though I do/have killed problem animals, but a big coon can wipe out most of your flock in a night and they're so darn smart and strong that I'd lean towards killing him if you see him hanging out around the area again. Might not be a bad idea to put a live trap or two around the coops as well.

5. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks Kittymomma, and yeah, the coop needing updated is the next thing on the list. LOL, the long farm list of things to do that never ends, ever. [​IMG] I love it though. My husband and I were just saying how we didn't think it would work against a really big coon. And yeah, I've seen coons before and this was a big 'un. Like "what the..." HUGE. This was the one coop that was already on the property when we bought the place and it has housed poultry for years before we bought the place. But then went empty for the last seven or so before us. Your thoughts are pretty much following mine. I have a trap, and will keep an eye out. First season with poultry here, so I don't know how long the thing has been hanging around either. I'm a little edgy, because we just lost a large number of pastured birds to a small predator that we dispatched of after trapping, so I am a little bit leaning towards "preventive maintenence" right now. I apreciate the advice! [​IMG]

6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Pop it.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Where we live, coons, possums, skunks and fox are all shot on sight if they're anywhere near the buildings. Coons and fox because if they haven't already done damage, they will. Skunks and possums more because of the disease factor.

8. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Noted [​IMG]

9. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    We had a raccoon attack and it was gross and horrid. It gutted the poor things and ate their innards and killed the rest, for what reason I am not sure. It tried to remove the siding from the coop then went in through our people door (our coop is a converted shed) and shut the door after it was done! In any event we decided not to kill it b/c we didn't want a worse raccoon to take over the territory and also raccoons are protected in several states. You may want to check on that before you make your decision or voice your decision. I do know it's also illegal in most places to relocate that.

We put a look on the door and sheet metal interior walls and so far, so good.

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I would be really surprised if coons were protected in any state whatsoever. Maybe what was meant is that there are hunting seasons on them and you just can't shoot them whenever. In Michigan you can shoot them if they are doing or about to do damage. I've never seen a coon that WASN'T about to do damage. I would take it out if you get the chance. Where there's one there's more. Now if you are really on the fence about this decision maybe a game cam could help you decide. Put one out and you will know in short time just what you are dealing with. I found out quickly the game trail just on the other side of my fence "was" frequented by 2 really huge coons and 2 feral cats. The coons are gone and I'm still after those darn cats! Came out of the house last night to my young rooster making a whole bunch of racket. Then I saw the cat on the other side, somewhat concealed, staring at my chickens. He got away, but his days are numbered. On the flip side my rooster got an "A" for the day and a whole bunch of nice treats for a job well done alerting me to the problem. Yep...he's a keeper for sure now! It's nice to find out in a non lethal way that your rooster is doing his job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by