saw something wierd inside egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, May 8, 2008.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    When I candled my sumatra eggs I saw what looked like a snake writhing in 1 or 2 of them. It wasn't just random though it was in a rythm so maybe it was the heart beating or something. This is only my second time hatching and last time I didn't see anything like this [​IMG].

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Sounds like it is an itty bitty embryo. Sometimes all you can see are eyes bobbing around.

3. Josie

Josie Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    How many days into development are the eggs when you candled them?

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    11-12 days.

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:When you can first see the eye the embryo can't move on its own yet. And this isn't an eye.

6. Josie

Josie Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    California
  7. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Does anyone else have opinions? I think its fine, they are still growing.

8. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Songster

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    You may just be seeing shadows. I would just keep going with the hatch and see what happens.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It was the chick movement - sometimes you can even see the pulse of the heart and/or blood vessels. Sometimes they just wriggle in there in rhythm. I've seen clear movement of the chick at day 7 before.

By 10-11 days you should be able to see good movement - sounds normal to me! Hope the next 10 days go well and you have a great hatch.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  10. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Thank you all so much. I really want these eggs to hatch cause they are for 4-H. I will give you an update in a different thread when they hatch. Sorry no pics, I don't have a digi camera.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by