Saw these at the fair, what are they ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanolive, Sep 26, 2010.

1. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I saw these glorious birds at the Mountain State Fair. I don't know why but hardly any of the show chickens were labeled with the breeds. It was so annoying ! But I want some whatever they are.

2. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    The roo looks black marans. One of the hens black copper marans.. hmm can't be sure of that though and they seem to be clean legged.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think the roo is a Black Giant and the hen to his right a black sex link. The tail showing in the pics is a Red Star and the hen to the far left...I have no idea.

4. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Black sex link for sure is the hen on the right

5. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Looks like black copper marans to me. See what color eggs they wear, if they are not incredibly dark, they are black star.

6. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    Wow, I didn't know black sex links were so pretty. They were definitely clean legged. Why on earth, if you are showing your chickens ,would you not label them ???

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Black Coppers have feathered shanks or at least should have. The bird in the pic has clean legs.

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    They look like Black Copper Marans which are clean legged. If they had feathered feet they would be French Black Copper Marans.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay, feathered shanks isn't everything. . . [​IMG]

Then hens are quite likely just Black Sex Links or some other mutt. . . Their legs are too green to be Marans, also, yes, they're clean.

The black one isn't either of those, probably a Jersey Giant.

10. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    The Hens are Black Sex Linked but I am not sure of the roo...but would assume it is the same

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by