1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sawdust other than pine?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bruinfan, Sep 20, 2010.

1. bruinfan

bruinfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Does anyone know if I can use sawdust made from oak, cherry and maple to line the coop floor? I can get this mixture of sawdust for $3 per contractor's size plastic bag. The price is right but I want to make sure it's usable before I run out and get it. Thanks from a newbie in NJ.

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    AS a newbie myself - in all my research it states that really only pine is acceptable as the rest is higher dust and may carry some "things" that are not good for the chickens.

3. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I have a dust collector for my woodshop that has a separator , separates the dust from the shavings. I just finished planing some oak and poplar and I put the shavings in the coop. The chicks stirred it in and since it was dry, it really soaked up the poop. As long as I don't have cedar or walnut shavings, it all goes in the coop.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sawdust or saw shavings? I've only used shavings myself. Does anyone here actually use sawdust?

5. bruinfan

bruinfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I"m talking dust. It's collected from a woodshop. I was under the impression that as long as it isn't cedar it would be okay.

6. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    I worked at an Equestrian Center that used it and the chickens would be kept in the stalls and I hated it because it got so wet and turned to mush. They tried eating it and it cant be good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by