Saxonies hatching!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cracking up, May 5, 2011.

1. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I got six eggs on ebay from Katharina. I was really worried because they had detached air cells. One quit early on and the rest started hatching today.

I have four hatched and one with a pip with its bill sticking out. I'm so happy to have them. So here's my question, can you tell the sex by the color of the baby? Two seem darker but since I still have one pipping I haven't gotten a good look at them. I'll post pics soon.

Thanks

Okay the last one is out. I can't believe I got five out of six with shipped eggs! Looks like four are dark and one is light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Yeah, that is good news. Love to see more pictures of the fuzzy butts. 5 out of 6 is a good hatch rate. You will love the birds. Keep them on 16% protein, because they grow so rapidly. It's best if they grow slowly, because they are such a large breed.

You can't really sex them by bill color, but I have noticed that some of ducklings with a dark bill tip turn out to be boys. You've also mentioned a complete yellow one, that can be a white Saxony. I have one to, but she has her night condo (large cage inside of the duck house) and her eggs are never send out for hatching. It just sometimes happens that you get a white one, because Saxonies were original bread with German Pekin ducks. So sometimes you get a genetic throw back. I tell you I love my white Saxony, she is so personal, much more then the others.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Congrats! Mine have another 2 1/2 weeks to go, but I'm looking at 4 of 6 I think. Last time I was only able to set 2 and got one beautiful little baby. It's so sweet!

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Thanks for your comments - I put them in the brooder last night and they're so calm and wonderful. Might just be sleeping off the hatch. I really like them so far and glad to know I don't have four of one sex and one of the other. Thanks so much for your wonderful eggs.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    They are calm by nature. I brood all of mine in the kitchen and never even hear a peep from them. They will take peas out of your hand when they are only 3 days old. Don't give them more then 3 peas per duckling when less then a week old. They need the proper diet after all. Take them outside when it is warm and you will see that they love to follow you. They are incredible sweet and fun to have around.

6. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    The Duck ABC's :

They are calm by nature. I brood all of mine in the kitchen and never even hear a peep from them. They will take peas out of your hand when they are only 3 days old. Don't give them more then 3 peas per duckling when less then a week old. They need the proper diet after all. Take them outside when it is warm and you will see that they love to follow you. They are incredible sweet and fun to have around.

Will they do that even if they are brooded within a large group?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by