Saxonies. . .

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cici_p, Mar 24, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Ok, I was just looking on Holderread farms page, and fell head over heels in love with the saxonies. . .Does anyone have any experience with these they could share?? I am looking for a couple ducks to be egg layers and pets (both of equal importance, lol). I was leaning towards pekins, but the saxonies left me, well, twitterpated! If you have any, please share!!!
    Can they be friendly and tame like pekins??
    Thank you!!!
    Christy

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Any duck can be friendly... It just depends on how they're raised. [​IMG]

3. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Well, yeah, I believe that, but I spent a lot of time with our last ducklings (the golden 300 hybrids) and they never got super tame. From what I have read and seen, it seems some are more easily tamed than others. . .But I would love to hear about people's saxonies. . .

4. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Nobody has saxonies?[​IMG]

5. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    really [​IMG]
    anybody? [​IMG]

6. I don't recall anyone talking about Saxonys at all on here. I looked in Holderreads book, he says they are rare. He also says they lay about 190 -240 large white eggs/year, better than a Pekin. They have fair to good mothering abilities and are good foragers. Please get some and tell us about them. AND take lots of photos for us please, they are beautiful ducks!

7. I asked about them here too the other day and got no replies.
    I'm planning to get some by the end of this year, hopefully.

8. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Ok, I will just have to get some and post lots and lots of pictures [​IMG]
    I did find a breeder thorugh BYC, so hopefully she will send me some info as well [​IMG]

9. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I am getting 5 Saxony from Holderread at the end of this month, or beginning of April. I will post pictures when I get them! I saw the breed at my 4-H fair last year, and I feel in love with them! So I decided I had to get some. They are so beautiful.

10. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    OK everyone...... I have Saxonys!!!!!! They are wonderful.... Friendly... Social .... Mine are the 1st to run up to me for treats ( they are piggies) will eat out of my hand and Just are cool birds. The Drakes are not extremely aggressive during breeding season and the Ducks are wonderful mom and a super incubatior. I will have hatching eggs for sale soon if anyone is intrested.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by