Saxony drake injured call duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TDSLP, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TDSLP

TDSLP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Kelseyville, CA
    My young Saxony drake keeps injuring my call duck. He bites her head and won't let go. I've put him in "time out" but do you think he will ever learn to leave her alone? Advice? Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nor during mating season, I don't understand why sometimes drakes just seem to zero in on one duck , is there anyway you can keep this duck and possibly another separate from him? He can cause her so much stress and harm it could kill her eventually. What is your ratio ducks to drake?

3. TDSLP

TDSLP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Kelseyville, CA
    I have 5 ducks (3 medium, 2 bantam) and 2 drakes (1 Saxony, 1 call). I know that isn't a good ratio but they had been getting along so well for months. I'm keeping the Saxony away from my call duck during the day. At night they are in the coop with the chickens but I set up a little hiding place for the call duck.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so they are both drakes? if so they are likely competing over being top drake and the ducks. Size differences makes a disadvantage, calls do not think small at all.

5. TDSLP

TDSLP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Kelseyville, CA
    I have two drakes- 1 huge Saxony and 1 call drake. They are not fighting too much. It's the Saxony drake that is biting one of my female call ducks head and not letting go. He's not even on top of her trying to do the mating thing. It looks like he's just trying to bite her head off.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would do more than give her a hiding place - I would want to be sure he could not get at her.

Ducks can be real dimwits - and dangerous to others.

Hormones.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As Amiga says this is very dangerous for her, I'd put the Calls separate from the the Saxony's. During mating season hormones are just too crazy to allow her to continue to be abused by this large drake.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh, i see sorry wasn't clear on who was who. You will likely have to remove her, does she get on with the call drake? would they pair up?Size differences again create more concern to the situation, i don't keep my calls with anyone but them, while i don't think the scovies would harm them, the extreme size difference wouldn't allow for much experimenting.

9. TDSLP

TDSLP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Kelseyville, CA
    Ok thanks you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by