Saxony drakes and ducks..... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by saxonyducklove, Dec 4, 2012.

1. saxonyducklove

saxonyducklove New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Pittsboro, IN
    Ok, so I have 10 Saxony ducks... They are all super pretty and healthy... But I am worried about the female to male ratio. I have 4 males and 6 females, is that ok? The females have not started laying is that why?? They have a big pond to play in during the day and run around and in the evening they go in the duck house my dad and I made! They dont have a light in there is that also making them not lay? They are 7 months old aproxamently! Please help!!

2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

That's too tight. You want about 4-6 ladies to 1 drake. We have 11 ladies and 3 drakes - only one is sexually aggressive. This number is working for us. No one has any bald necks or getting over mated. Ducks like to mate. A lot. Like...a LOT. They are maniacs the first year (I read) and this is my first year and they are mating a lot. A lot. lol

3. saxonyducklove

saxonyducklove New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Pittsboro, IN
    Ok... Thanks! So what should I do with the other ones and should I choose to keep the more domanent one or one of the lesser ones?

4. zooweemama

I wouldn't necessarily choose the most dominant. I don't like aggressive ducks, chickens etc. So I would make sure that the one you keep is one you like. If you are breeding just for backyard pleasure and for eggs and not worried about standards- keep the one you like and make sure it doesn't have any weird defects or isn't weak or sickly. If you are concerned about standards- you will need to find out what the breed standards are and then make your choice of which to keep.

1. You can process them and eat them (or put in freezer).
    2. You can get more females (hehe works like chicken math).
    3. You could also list the extra males on Craigslist- they are a pure breed and I would put a price on each one. I couldn't say for sure what price- but I wouldn't suggest under $10 each. That is still less than a duck dressed out and ready to cook at the grocers will run you. If they didn't move at all you could start decreasing the price. Include an image of each duck, that is in focus (not blurry or focused on the background instead of the duck) and as clutter free as possible. Good images can help you move your drakes faster.
    4. Call local feed stores and ask if they would take them (they won't pay you for them). It's a long shot, but worth a shot.

Good luck! I would love to hear what you decided to do!

5. saxonyducklove

saxonyducklove New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Pittsboro, IN
    Ok... So I really like them all and they are very nice... They don't seem aggressive towards the females, and only one chases away another male. The others seem to get along. So could the reason they are not laying be because it's winter and the days are shorter?? Do I HAVE to get rid of them... Is that the only choice?

6. zooweemama

Your choices are listed above. Another option is to pen up all but 1 of the drakes and keep them separated at all times. Rotate- put the one in with the other drakes and let another one out. Kinda like what people do with aggressive dogs- crate and rotate. Basically duck sex is extremely violent. I have watched my male drake mate (they do not ask, they force. it's not pleasant to the ladies) 5 females in 15 minutes. Can you imagine 4 drakes on 6 girls? My ducks do it all day long.

Just because they seem nice doesn't mean they will be nice when they become hormonal. They hop on the back of the female, grab their neck feathers with their beak and that is how they hold on. 6 females are going to be nearly gang raped many times a day everyday- their necks are going to be bald and eventually scabby and bloody. I know it's in our human nature to look at animals with human eyes and project our feelings on to them but it doesn't change the fact that they are animals and are driven by basic needs that are beyond our control despite how we feel about them. For domestic make drakes it's a lot of mating. Don't take my word for it- do research so you feel confident in your knowledge and making the next step. I have seen the bloody scabby necks, worn feathers and sick duck hens from being overworked by too many drakes and no rest from their attentions. People ask but never like the answer. It IS a huge bummer. If you find any other alternatives successfully - be sure to share. Sad duck owners across the world face this dilemma and would love more options.

You can do what some people choose to do- do it anyway and hope your hens are ok. Many of those people that I have seen end up feeling bad later. It doesn't usually work out. (i have never seen that it does but using the word never implies me knowing everything and I don't lol) I personally was not willing to risk it. I had to re-home 3 of my drakes. I was very sad to do so but my flock is happy with my 3 to 11 ratio. It's for the hens safety people make this suggestion.

Good luck!

Some duck sex 101:
    http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketsc...ses-and-corkscrew-vaginas-the-sexual-battles/
    http://io9.com/5856827/fund-a-study-that-will-plumb-the-horrors-of-duck-sex
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/nati...ky-duck-sex-chronicles-beaks-warn-stds/36626/

Some duck to drake ratio to get you started:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700080/newby-info-too-many-drakes-something-else-to-watch-for
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598255/drake-to-duck-ratio

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Send me one of those drakes!

8. zooweemama

Yay see we have a taker! Woohoo! :D

9. saxonyducklove

saxonyducklove New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Pittsboro, IN
    I don't think I could ship it!! Lol.... But I will look into rehousing three of the boys!

10. zooweemama

I was able to re-home all 3 of my guys together. I had a friend in the country who didn't have any ducks- she took them in as pets. Her young sons love them. Bonus is they are quiet and with no ladies present- they all get along. :D Do you have a friend in the country?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by