Saxony duck eggs late to hatch!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Christi2107, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Christi2107

Christi2107 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Texas
    I set 6 saxony duck eggs in the incubator to hatch and only 3 started to develop. I stopped turning at day 28 and now it is day 31 and no pip. I thought they were suppose to hatch on day 28-30. I'm a nurse so I listened to the eggs with my stethoscope and heard heart beats in 2 out of the 3 eggs. Has anyone hatched this type of duck egg before and how long did it take them to hatch? Thanks!!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry, no idea but I'm hatching a duck egg for the first time as well so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I stopped turning on day 25 and thought ducks hatched on day 28 or so.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Can't help yet, my Saxony eggs won't get here until this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm hoping for at least two from the 6. We'll see.

What did they look like at pre-lockdown candling? Blacked out with a chick?

Was your temp running low but almost right? Humidity?

You can leave them until you give up and toss them, or very carefully take one and starting at the top of the egg (air sac area) and work some shell off of it to see what's for real going on. I did that last time when my chickens reached day 25. I ended up with 5 chicks from a total of 30 eggs. 4 of which I had to help, one popped out on it's own on day 23, 2 days late.

But the ones I opened that actually had developed, 2 had turned their heads to pip but didn't finish. 3 never even tried, and the final 5 were alive and trying but seemed weak, so I pulled them out after being sure the yolk was absorbed.

I have 4 duck eggs I got locally started, and they're developing. That way if I only get 1 Saxony duck to hatch, it will at least have friends.

4. Christi2107

Feb 22, 2010
    Texas
    I candled the eggs this morning and 2 were moving but very slowly and their air sacs are huge but I could only get my humidity up to 55. This is now day 32 and no pip so i'm bout to go in there and try to help them. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice!

5. Christi2107

Feb 22, 2010
    Texas
    Update from this morning: Unfortunately the first egg I opened was dead in his shell - yolk not absorbed. The second one was still slightly moving but the yolk was not absorbed and she started to bleed a little when I started messing with the membrane so I wrapped her in a wet paper towell and put her back in the bator...she didn't make it. [​IMG] The third one was still alive but was the same way - yolk not absorbed and started to bleed when i messed with the membrane so I put him back n the bator. When I came back to check on him, his beak was sticking out the hole and moving but no sound. So as of now he's still alive. Hope he does ok through the night. I've decided humidity and temp were both too low. Ducks r way harder to hatch than chickens! Ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by