Saxony Ducks DO THEY LAY?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iheartchickens1, Dec 12, 2012.

1. iheartchickens1

iheartchickens1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Hey, i have saxony ducks, they are very pretty and lovely birds but i dont know if they lay eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do they lay eggs? if so, do they need a drake/male duck with them to lay eggs? Are they like chickens and lay with out a male and do they lay every day?????????????????????????? I NEED ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X THXS

Here are some pics of my saxony ducks, they are supposed to start laying eggs last sunday but still nothing! i only have females, i have no males so i dont now weather or not they still lay eggs!?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Yes they lay eggs.
    2. No they do not need a Drake around.
    3. They are supposed to be good layers but I doubt you will get one every single day.

3. iheartchickens1

Aug 11, 2012
    thank you, this gives me hope that they might lay soon!!!!!!! thxs x

4. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    I imagine they must lay eggs because someone layed them[​IMG] Nice lookers. Making me hungry[​IMG]

Saxonies are billed as the best duo purpose meat/egg duck; haven't tested them yet, will this spring.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    'What Kevin said was correct.

How do you know they were supposed to start laying last Sunday?

Many breeds have a window when they should start laying, like 18-20 weeks old. Many factors contribute to egg laying. Time of year, amount of light, diet, etc, etc, etc

6. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Saxony ducks - they started laying around 20 weeks. they are laying every 2-3 days - very nice large, delicious eggs.

1 person likes this.
  7. LightningTFarm

LightningTFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am currently raising Welsh Harlequins for eggs ( but at this point I will be waiting till spring for my first eggs). I am considering ordering meat ducklings this spring, and I am going back and forth between Saxonies and Silver Appleyards. Has anybody raised both? Can you tell me the best for: eggs, growth rate, meat quality, ease of raising. I like the look of the Saxonies, but I know a lot of people have Appleyards and really like them. Your comments will be greatly appreciated!

8. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    I have the same dilemma. They are very similair in looks. I think the Appleyard male gets a slight edge and the Saxony female gets a slight edge. Although some Appleyard females look similiar. They are similiar in egg and meat production. I will probably bite the bullet and buy both....after I get rid of the current fat ducks that I have. Quack! [​IMG]

9. iheartchickens1

Aug 11, 2012
    thank you very helpfunnl, but i woke up this morning and found that my saxony duck has gone blind! whqt do i do? HELP! xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by