Saxony or Rouen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alaskanchickens, Feb 16, 2014.

1. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I am getting duckling (and chicks and turkeys) early May. I had originally picked Anconas and Rouens as the breeds I wanted but now I'm not so sure....I am still getting Anconas because I'm a sucker for anything remotely endangered and want to help them, but now I can't decide if I should get Saxony's or Rouens. I am looking for a dual purpose meat/egg layer, something not flighty and a mellow temperament as I have younger children. I tried getting input from my kids, son doesn't really care what kind and my girls want them all! Any opinions on which breed would be a better fit?

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Maybe you should just get all three?

3. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I would love to get all 3! I have to limit it to 2 kinds though, hubby doesn't want to have to build more than 2 pens for them. We are going to be keeping them separate for breeding.

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    all i have mallard and muscovy i dont know any thing bout those 2 breeds but my breeds are not good egg layers

5. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I have Saxony and they are just breathtakinly gorgeous.... they were part of Holderreads line that lays like 200+ eggs a year... they did the first year too the first year. Very mellow, yet they try to forage, just don't range more than about 200 feet it seems... Rouens are like heavyweight Mallards...both are rare.

6. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I don't know anything about egg production or anything like that about either breed, but the saxonys are much prettier in my opionion and harder to come by :) I see rouens for sale on almost all farm websites but I rarely see saxonys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by