Saxony vs Silver Appleyard- which dual bird is better?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertskynm, Jan 23, 2011.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Anyone here have experience in which breed is the better dual bird? Looking for quantity of eggs, quality of meat, temperance (really noisey?), friendly... etc.

Just racking my head trying to pick out the duck breed that is best for me...

Thank you,
    Misty

2. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Is one a better sitter than the other, a better mother?.... Thank you again!

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Ok, sitting here reading my Storey's illustrated guide to Poultry Breeds...it says:
    Appleyards are in the Heavy class, fast growth, and good productin of white eggs..and known for having a calm temperament.

Saxonys are in the Heavy class, excellent layers, nice carcass, meat flavorful, not greasy., but is doesn't say anything about the temperament. Hope this helps you.

4. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Yes, thank you- I have been searching all over the net with not much result...

Anyone who has either breed, please feel free to share your experiences too!

Misty

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm biased, but I say Saxony! My hen is sooooo calm and good, and although she's a bit skittish she always comes up to me when I come outside.

edited to add: I don't eat my ducks, so I can't vouch for taste, but I have heard good things!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. pascopol

pascopol Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I have 8 Silver Appleyards hatched from shipped eggs Holderread stock. They are just over 3 months old.

I had Muscovies, Pekins, in the past, never have Saxonies.

I love my Appleyards, can not compare them to Saxonies since I never raised Saxonies.

However my Appleyards so far beat Pekins hands (wings) down.

Mine grew so fast that they reached their full weight by 3 months of age (8-10 lbs already). They are larger now than grown Pekins . Very calm, naturally tame and friendly.

Beautiful plumage.

Their eggs are huge, they are not laying yet but the eggs there were hatched from, were almost goose size.

They sit and raise their young, Pekins do not. I did not try meat yet, keep them as breeders so far, but I will taste their offspring.
    According to sources Appleyards lay 220-265 huge eggs a year, Saxonies 190-240

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/silverappleyard.html

both
    breeds weigh 6 to 8 lb, but my Appleyards are already heavier 8lb and up.

I will do better asessment of Appleyeards by next season, but I am sure they will be keepers.

7. secretquail

secretquail Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I have one SA so far. She was raised in the house for the 1st 2 months, and thinks she is a human, so there isa definite bias, but very calm and frindly. Almost 7 mo. old, but no eggs yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by