Say a little prayer for Chiclet

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenzoo, Oct 1, 2012.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Chiclet is my only remaining original hen, my very first chicken. She is about seven years old and is a SLW. She is suffering from ascitis. I noticed her face color looking darker, her breathing heavier and she wasn't her normal spunky self. When I picked her up today I noticed her balloon abdomen...she's always been porky but this was big even for her. Her comb and wattles were almost purple...I thought I might lose her, her eyes looked dry....I rushed her to my chicken ER and gave a little vitamin, and some liquid Baytril. I then found a 18 gauge needle and large syringe and drained her....and drained....and drained. Her color started to redden and as I propped her back to her feet to let it drain more, she reached over and grabbed a acorn shell that had fallen. So she was feeling better already. By the time I got most of it and placed her in her ER pen, she was grooming herself and then chowing down on her food. Say a little prayer for Chicklet and that I can keep it at bay and bide a little more time with my sweet girl.....

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Oh poor chiclet, Good thing she has you! [​IMG] Will do
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Will do. I really hope she gets better!

4. awwwww zooo... Prayers on their way my friend for the both of you. She is lucky to have you and that you have enough strength to help her like that. They become our special loved ones when we become that close with them. Give her a pat on the head from me and a special treat. nicely done by the way with her draining. Every moment that you have with her is special. Hug her while you can and enjoy the moments.

[​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'll say a little prayer for Chiclet. [​IMG] Sounds like what you have been doing is helping, lets just hope to keep it going.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Healing vibes sent her way..

7. How's she doing?

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

She's a trooper.... Her color is looking good and I haven't had to drain her again yet...so fingers crossed. She is eating good and acting good but she's an old lady so I hope her luck continues. She's such a sweet girl, I have many happy memories and first chicken experiences with her..... Thank you for checking up on her..

9. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Prayers, and more prayers [​IMG]

Give her a big hug from me, too! Every one of my losses have been devastating no matter how it happened so I know how you feel and I have my arms completely wrapped around you. I don't know what ascitis is, but you obviously do and know what to do.

Thank you for posting so I can go look that up and learn about it. Just in case I need to know what to do.

Please keep posting about Chiclet's condition!

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Chicklet lost her fight today.....my sweet sweet old lady is gone...my first chicken. She is out of pain and had a good life but I still have a hole in my heart. Rest in peace my dear girl.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by