Say it isn't So!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by angelmarie, Jun 13, 2008.

1. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Do people who raise chickens for show really cull some of their chickens instead of selling them, because they don't want to be beat by their own chicken?!

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    WOW that is some deep stuff right there!

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I think they only cull the ones that are sub-standard, so that they don't muddy the genetics.

4. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    oh, no, can't we have something on here, to adopt them or something. I really couldn't believe that when i found out

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I suppose it's possible, but some are simply concerned with improving the breed. If their culls aren't good enough to breed, then they want to remove them from the gene pool.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:HAHAHAHA Someone managed to make me smile before I finished my coffee! Amazing.

7. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    i could understand that but still, that seems a bit cruel. If they did that with people, it'd be a serious crime, i dunno i just think that it shouldn't be done unless its absolutely necessary

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Better that they be culled than go to a bad home. I have 2 roosters I want to find a good home for, but may have to eat. That's the just the way it is. Too expensive & dangerous to ship live birds, and not everyone wants a rooster.

Culling is actually a responsible way to keep breeding lines true without causing suffering.

If you are breeding champion lines, then culling is absolutely necesary.
    If you can only house & feed 20 birds, then you're only going to keep the top 20.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Some are simply concerned with improving the breed. If their culls aren't good enough to breed, then they want to remove them from the gene pool.

That is the point in breeding to Standard. There is little sympathy involved.​

10. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    oh ok, well i'm not judging anyone i believe that everyone has a right to make their own choices, but maybe after the my whole money problems get resolved i can adopt a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by