Saying Adios to the Rooster, What to Expect...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WalkerH, Feb 26, 2012.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the chance to get rid of my rooster. Which is excellent as he keeps going after my family and I am leaving soon. He will be going to a nice couple with no kids and lots of space. And if it doesn't work out, a nice stew pot. So anyways I will be left with ten hens, probably eight if I am able to sell the two I want to. What should I expect? Will there be fighting amongst themselves figuring out pecking order again, or will they just simply subtract the other chickens. Any information you all have, would be awesome. Thank you.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Any additions or subtractions will upset the pecking order and they may have a few squabbles to reestablish who's who. Good for you in getting rid of a rooster who goes after your family.

3. Chicken George

Chicken George Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    They may act different then how they usually act. But they'll be back to normal in about a week.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would guess that they will adapt with minimal problems.

5. WalkerH

Alright sounds about to be what I expected. And yes, Bobbi-J, I leave for basic soon and I brought these chickens here, the least I can do it take responsibility. But thank you all, just even the knowledge that there will be some scuffs is better then being clueless.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had a nasty roo that I got rid of last spring. I expected the flock to go into a tailspin over the whole thing because he ruled over them with an iron fist. Everything was fine...better than fine, in fact. I started getting more eggs than ever. There were very few dust-ups, and the flock calmed down immediately after he left. It was quite nice.

Good luck in basic.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You should expect peace and quiet. ;)

8. WalkerH

Haha well that is good. Yes, mine is a bit of a butt. He has had many strikes against him and when he went after my nephew I had enough. Luckily one of the dogs was standing there and the rooster didn't feel brave enough to deal with some pit bull teeth. He had been tearing up the back of one of the poor girls and he just isn't worth it anymore. I might look for a new one when I get back, but it will have to be old and understand how to treat the ladies right.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Glad that nothing happened to your nephew.

I also was finally tired of the gang members (roosters) at my place. I sold ALL but 3. So now I have 83 hens and 3 roosters and it's sooooooooo quiet and peaceful.

I wish you luck finding a great rooster who will fit it and your place . :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by