saying goodbye to Ester.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamabigbird, Apr 30, 2016.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Ester would have turned six in June. A good age for a chicken, but an exceptional age for a sex link hen. She was my sweetest, best loved hen. (Don't tell the others, although I expect they knew). Ester was one of six, day-old chicks, that I hand raised. There is now only one survivor, Ol' Brown Betty and a motley crew of other younger hens. Unbelievable how much these funny creatures touch and enrich our lives. R.I.P. Ester

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    This thread is making me cry :'( some of my chickens recently died and it was the hardest time for me and this is making me go back to when that happen :'( I'm so sorry

3. mamabigbird

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Sorry to bring back sad memories. but they get wound in with the good ones. I have actually had five hens die recently. Three were ancient like Ester and two were younger. The most recent one was Matilda who was eight when we adopted her and was fourteen when she passed. She was a nasty mean hen but a hell bent broody. She hated everyone but just loved hatching babies. You just have to keep loving the ones that are still here and enjoy the memories of the ones that are gone.
    Cheers.

4. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Thanks so much I've had 4 die recently, two of them were from a coon. It was the most worse thing to see it didn't take the hens with him he just left them there by the coop. Ours were not as old as yours. One was only a year old the others were two years old. I hope the best to you and the rest of your flock!
    Cheers!

5. mamabigbird

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Oh my, what a terrible ending for your poor hens. Racoons are nasty and I've been lucky enough to not have to clean up that kind of disaster while grieving the loss. Yah. best wishes to you and your feathered friends.

6. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Thanks so much! Well that coon is dead also now so that's what we call payback

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Always sad when they have to go
    We give them all and love them so
    Time goes by as they grow old
    Leaving many stories to be told
    That's the final gift our pets have to give
    Loving memories that will never grow old

Sorry for your loss.

8. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I'm so sorry

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry about the loss of your sweet Ester. [​IMG] She's a beauty. I know what you mean, they have a sneaky way of getting into your heart. We wouldn't have it any other way, would we?

10. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    :hugs :love :cry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by