Saying goodbye to my beloved pet :-(

AussieNik

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
QLD, Australia
A sad day in our household today. Rodney, our 4 month old male muscovy duck is being sent off to live on a friend's farm with other Muscovies.

Unfortunately he does not get along with our chickens at all, he will chase them around the yard and bite them, even has tried to mate with one of them (who now cowers in fear whenever he approaches her). He managed to kill one of our girls yesterday, she died from injuries he caused earlier that morning.

Completely gutted :-( I read so many stories online on chicken/duck forums about how people have successfully housed chickens and ducks (muscovies) together with no problems, so I don't know what Rodney's problem is. We still have next door's muscovy in our care, also a drake around the same age, and he leaves the chickens completely alone :/

We don't have the room in our yard to have 2 separate enclosures, so have no choice but to re-home him. Completely gutted as he is my pet, but can't risk any more hen injuries or deaths.... :(

You are doing the proper thing. Drakes and chicken hens without duck hens present is a bad situation. Sometimes it can be a bad situation even with female ducks present. Drakes can be very sexually aggressive.

X2

Sorry but you are making the best decision for your situation.

Drakes and chickens are not a good combo. Keep an eye on next door's drake as he may have been low man of the 2 or may not be feeling his hormones yet. It is VERY likely that he to will soon try to mate with the hens.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I know in my heart I am doing the right thing, and I know I need to do what is best for both him and the chooks. I know he will be happier in his new home! He just got picked up 20 minutes ago, so he is already on his way there :-(

It's just a shame things turned out this way, we bought him as a chick from the local markets with no idea what breed or sex he was. Obviously a female outcome would have resulted in less issues, but obviously you can't control nature :) I was very aware that it was 50/50 outcome, just didnt realise beforehand that boy Muscovies weren't compatible with chickens. My fault I know, should have done more research :(

It was still a pleasure raising him from chick to adult, I will miss him very much! I hope he enjoys life on the farm with his new friends - apparently many acres and a big dam await him :) and they said they will post pics on FB for me to see his progress, too :)

Ps. Next door's duck is going back in 2 weeks. Though they plan to put him on the dinner table, much to my disgust (I'm a vegetarian!) :-/

I think you definitely made the correct (though difficult) choice. I wonder if I have cause to be concerned; I have 2 Muscovey Drakes and 4 Muscovey Hens, then 3 Chicken Hens and 1 Rooster. Everyone cohabitates together happily right now, but I hope my Muscovy Drakes don't take an interest in my Chicken Hens, or at least that the Rooster detracts them.

I am sorry, it's very clear you cared about him. That said it's not a Male Muscovy thing, any drake of any breed is quite capable of er.. courting a hen with sadly sometimes disastrous results. I know people do it, i for one won't. I have two drakes(Yes, Muscovy) but my chickens have no contact with them without fencing, just not a risk i am willing to take.

It's kind that the new owners will update you, and be reassured in the fact he has gone to a caring home.

I'm sorry you had to let him go. I used to have Muscovies and had to get rid of them all because the drakes kept harassing my bantam ducks at the pool so I know how you feel. I was particularly attached to one but since they were all bonded, they all went together. I miss my scovies.

Back
Top Bottom