Saying Goodbye To Our Waffle Tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2GigglyGirls, Jan 31, 2013.

1. 2GigglyGirls

2GigglyGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    I found a vet that will put her down... she cannot support herself at all at this point. She seems irritated. She doesn't "purr" as easily. So, since my friends think I am crazy, I came here to post a last photo. She is a Black Silkie & Yellow / Black Tipped Japanese Bantam mix. She is our first hatch and is 3.5 weeks old. I cannot tell you how much I am going to miss this little girl. [​IMG]

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Oooooooo, that's so sad. I almost lost one of my first chicks to heat stroke, it happened at least 10 to 15 times, but she pulled through, she's our little fighter with a bad eye and wing, the strokes left her a little mentally challenged I think.
    Was it merks or was something elce wrong? She looks like she was a good little chicken. You took great cair of her and she loved you verry much. Your not crazy, it's always sad when you loose a pet chicken.

3. 2GigglyGirls

Jan 12, 2013
    We thought maybe spraddle leg... but didn't find out until about 6 days of age. We wrapped her but then, after a week, noticed that her other leg was rotating backwards when she put weight on it. We added the Poly Visol and got the better wrap and even took her to our local feed store that has been so wonderful over the years and they said that she is wrapped right... just looks like her hips are mis-aligned. I went back and looked at her original photos and her whole body was severely twisted (compared to the other two chicks). We cuddle her every night (she likes to be wrapped in a small towel) and pet her until she starts purring / harmonizing with you. She'll talk back and forth with you once she gets that relaxed. But she can't even get up now... and the wrapping was making it worse for her. So we cut it yesterday and finally found a vet that will put her down humanely. I've just never had to put down an animal that wasn't old... didn't have a life, you know? I'm supposed to care for her; but there is nothing more we can do and she is getting so she is not comfortable at all (starting to freak out with her wings now at times).

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You are doing the right thing.

Little chicks that get spraddle leg can be so dear to bond with. I kept one that had spraddle leg & other problems for a few months before putting her down, & there were many sweet moments.
    However, I know Angel experienced a lot of pain & suffering, too, during her life.

Things I learned helped inspire me to create the PoultryPedia.com Poultry Podiatry page to help others. I now much recommend putting down a little bird with untreatable spraddle leg much sooner than I did.

Know your little chick is going to a good heaven & will be happy. I am glad you got to have some precious times first.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. 2GigglyGirls

Jan 12, 2013
    Thank you for your kind words! Yeah, that was very, very hard.... my cat has a UTI, so we took Waffle with us and all the vets ended up coming in and fawning over her. Our favorite took the lead and said he'd take the lead and the offered to let us take her home to burry her. The wrapped her up for me too. Their tenderness really helped (and they didn't charge me either). They don't normally treat chickens, but obviously love animals to do that for us.

I appreciate everyone who offered help and support... so glad I found this forum!

6. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sad for you also. It is so hard to come to a decision like that. Your little chicken is so cute and loveable looking. I know you really love her, and I'm so sorry for you. Love is sweet and bitter and it does hurt at times, but there is no greater power and no greater gift than love. I do believe that our beloved pets will be waiting for us on the other side. God Bless you for the love you gave. He does care.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Thank you very much for sharing what happened when you went to the vets'.
    How sweet it must have been to be surrounded by the kindness of others who understand the specialness of animals, as you said goodbye to little Waffle & let her go. Experiences like that build your faith in the goodness of people's spirits.
    May you be comforted in your time of loss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by