Saying Goodbye..

TheSheriffswife

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Baldwinsville NY
I just needed some advice and I feel a bit silly, I didn't think it would be like this, but I hatched 17 chicks that are 12 weeks..and my beginners luck blessed me with 10+ roos and counting.
roll.png

So I have decided which ones I want to keep and need to rehome the rest..I have had an ad on Craigs list, no takers until I dropped the price to 5.00 I had 10.00 so they wouldn't be taken for food..

So my first boy is leaving Sat. and I know it's a good home he one of my Lavenders and she is gonna use him for her breeding program..so I'm happy but

I can't belive I am already tearful..How do I stop feeling this way, I guess I feel guilty, sad..like I will think that he does not have as good a life there as with me..and are they spoiling him..

Please someone talk some sense into me or tell me how you do it before I do something stupid and back out of this and I know I can't do that! I can't have all these boys..
I did try and post on here but I don't think any one lives near me..
sad.png

Thank You..
I just need to get this out and I know people here understand.
smile.png

Yep, been where you are and understand completely.
The first 5 roosters or so I rehomed, I cried like a little girl. After that, though, it got easier-I didn't want the dissention, fighting, overmating my hens, etc. that come along with too many roosters.
You're doing the right thing, but it is hard the first few times.
hugs.gif

I so totally understand how you're feeling that I have never gotten rid of ANY of my roosters. I have several, and I mean SEVERAL of them. They are just fine in the flock, no fighting. I couldn't bear the thought they would be eaten, or not taken care of as well as I do... and I'm not even sure I do all that good a job, but I love my flock members, all of them.

Every time someone suggests I divest myself of a few of my roosters, I get a really stubborn feeling and won't even consider it. Luckily, I have plenty of room for free range chickens.

I DO understand. If I didn't get that stubbord "Nope, not gonna do it" feeling, I know I'd be tearful.

Therefore, I'm not much of a good role model for folks who have to get rid of roos. I do not have to. I won't. Not unless it's to a good family or a BYCer. And since I don't advertise 'em, there's no call for anybody wanting any.

hugs.gif

I completely understand.
hugs.gif
I have the "roo curse" too. I adore them but only 2 can stay, my original 2 so all of the younger ones must go. I keep my birds solely as pets. I hate the idea of the birds I spent so much time socializing becoming someones dinner.
sad.png

I have learned from experience though that my roos will not live happy lives if I keep them all. They would have to be locked up or live through terrible fights with the others. I have to let some go in order to continue providing quality lives to the birds I have.

I hope this viewpoint helps you "let go" when the time comes.

i have a roo that i love so much but he started crowing early (at 5.5 weeks)...so i am trying to re-home him with no luck. we are not allowed to have roosters at all so he is in the garage, isolated until i can find him a new home.
sad.png

this chicken raising adventure has been such a joy, but this is the one tiny blackspot in the experience so far
sad.png

Ahhh such good points every one! I know it's all logical I guess I have been putting it off thinking I will be THAT person that has the best roos that won't fight, that will be lovely to the hens, won't crow their fool heads off..I am delusional I know..
But I still am more like Linda aka gryeyes where I am keeping 5 which is I'm sure suicide..but I have faith!
They were all born a raised together and they don't fight now..so just maybe..we shall see..I just can't part with these 5.
I will stay strong and rehome the rest I know I have to it's better for them and my hens
..Thanks for the support!!!! I will check the people out well before giving them up tho..I usually have a good gut feeling about people..

I balled like a baby the first couple of roos my DH rehomed. (made him do it when I was at work) However, that being said, it is much easier now. The longer you are in this game the less it hurts especially if you have mean roos, both toward you and your girls. I love the sound of a rooster and we have a great EE now, but I hatched a lone egg back in the Winter and, of course, it is a roo. I am ready to rehome him because he is causing such a ruckus in the pen.......................In this case, the majority rules (hens)!

I don't mind getting rid of the cockerels but the hens whoa nelly. Dang cockerels are rough on the girls. I had 14 In with 16 hens they were all hatched together but there were feathers everywhere. Not so bad now their gone.

LOL Ok now I just need them to get mean
hit.gif
There is one that is a bit testy and I think I will be OK..but how the heck do you rehome a guy that jumps on your arm every time you sit down UGH!
And also..I sure thought I would have more bites on Craigs list..I had 10.00 then 5.00 I am afraid to put free I don't want them eaten..but I think even with 5.00 that was a possibility..But I also have to get going..Any other ways I might be able to find a home for them?

I don't know a thing about where you live. I had 14 cockerels from a hatch I did. They were around 3 months old. I put a sign on my gate saying roosters for sale. I sold them all for $ 5.00 a piece. Guess, I got lucky who knows.

Back
Top Bottom