Saying Hai

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RandyDR, Aug 10, 2011.

1. RandyDR

RandyDR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Delta, Colorado
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I'm not new to them, I've had them on and off since I was a young kid. Since I permanently am not going to be traveling anymore I bought and started raising them again about 2 years ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Unfortunately only about 15. I had about 30 before they started getting picked off by foxes/coyotes/etc.

(3) What breeds do you have? I bought them all as a random batch at the time from a market so I am unsure as the the exact kind, but I think there common chickens. I think most of them are barren rocks, and a few red stars and black stars. Whatever I have most of them lay eggs year round, so I always have eggs [​IMG] I had a White Japanese Bantam male for sure though [​IMG] But he disappeared one day. Was a sad day [​IMG] I don't want to be picky but I liked him best of all [​IMG]

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I was actually looking for coop plans as I'm clearing out an acre of land behind my home to move my chickens as of right now there free range and on my farm, they go in the building at night and get locked up but there slowly getting picked off by animals during the day, and it's driving me insane as I don't live on my farm, I live quite a bit away from it and lease the land out. So moving them near me and providing them with a safer, if smaller, environment to live in will benefit us both.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I've started building small birdhouses. It is just for fun though [​IMG] ( I needed hobbies so that's why I started small birdhouses lol )

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. - - - - Well right now I'm waiting until January to take a CNA class at a College near me, but that's still quite a bit of time away. So I have a little over an acre of land that I need to clear out where I'm going to be building two to three coops and large runs to each of them with a free range fence around them. I've got to figure out how high I need the fencing, how big of a run, how big each coop needs to be, as I'm going to try to add to my small flock eventually. I don't even know if I need two or three coops or one large one. I know that if it comes a time I have too many males I want a place to separate them from the rest, and don't really know how I'm going to do that except with another coop and fenced off area. I also want a place for chicks to grow up before I introduce them to the main flock so that's where my third coop comes in. It's very confusing lol. It's going to take some effort but that's fine for me, as I'm a pretty hands on type of guy. I've had a fondness of poultry since I first got them when I was younger, I don't know enough as I need to but I'm always trying to learn more and I might be taking on a bit of a bigger project than I am normally use to but I'm going to get it done one way or another. I don't have any other pets, my neighbor has quite a few cats though! Mostly kittens. They are a bit shy around other animals and people though. She'll probably laugh herself silly watching me clear everything out and build these things, just because I said I was going to clear this all out for the past like 2 months just to do it, at least now I have a reason to do it lol [​IMG]

I also live pretty far out in the country and have already checked to see if there are any ordinances that prevent me from having them here instead of my farm and it's perfectly legal, yay, ( I had to call the actual Judge to find out because no one else knew ( I didn't know either yay ) :\\ )

Don't know what else to write as I'm reading quite a few things at the same time and it's making my head spin, so coffee, then more reading, and HAI backyardchicken peoples!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad you joined the forum! [​IMG]

Your questions:
    1. I am back into the chicken game after having chickens as a kid - that was ages ago. Wish I hadn't waited so long because it has been very rewarding. I strated out with 35 that I got in March of this year. Most have been processed but a few are still around.
    2. Right now I have 6 - four adults and 2 chicks, but I have 25 coming in tomorrow.
    3. I have 4 easter egger and 2 wheaten marans chicks. I will be getting 13 cornish X for meat and 12 hen chicks of the following varieties: Delaware, red star, black star, ancona, easter egger, buff orpington, and black australorp - hopefully these will be my egg layers!
    4. I found BYC while doing internet research on chicken coops. Been hooked ever since!
    5. I like to hunt and fish, read, play with my dogs - 2 labs, and brew my own beer - and now chickens!
    6. I am a school guidance counselor, have a finace', and love to take road trips to places I've never been.

Have fun on BYC!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. rival001

rival001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    ca
    hi, welcome to byc forum .. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from ny

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG]

~ Aspen

9. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by