Saying Hello, Duck Dad from Maine.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OldTownKhakis, Dec 8, 2014.

1. OldTownKhakis

OldTownKhakis New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    Southern Maine Highlands.
    Hi,

After spending many hours reading the great advice on this forum I've finally taken the time to join. Thank you all the the great information you have already shared, and looking forward to future idea/knowledge exchanges.

About me:
    Before I moved to Maine (US) I lived in Southern England, and then North Wales (UK). My Mum has had ducks and chickens for years, but after I grew up and left home, so I never spent much time around them. Most of the knowledge I get from her is based on living up a mountain in Wales, and not always directly transferable to the Maine climate. This Spring (2014), while feeling rather disappointed by the quality of the duck eggs available locally, I got tempted by the large tub of ducklings peeping at the local hardware store and came home with four Khaki Campbell ducklings. It was at that point that I found BackYardChickens.com and tried to absorb as much information as possible. In the house we also have three old Welsh cats, and two Maine mutts. The cats don't really venture outside much anymore, but when they do they keep a wide distance from the ducks as they chase them as soon as they turn their back on them! The dogs don't "see" the ducks and only acknowledge the duck poop or food as potential scavenged treats!! I try to keep an organic kitchen garden out front of the house where it's sunniest, but with all our maple trees sunny is a relative term. I also keep a vermiculture system in the basement for composting kitchen scraps.

Cheers,
    Neil.

[​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Love the pic, thanks for sharing!

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome! Beautiful Ducks! I love Khaki Campbell's, they are very sweet and good layers. [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Beautiful duck pic! You might want to stop by our ducks section to share stories, pics and just talk to other duck owners...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our flock!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few, including Khaki Campbells), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely post on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by