Saying hello from the UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by inbarcation, Jul 30, 2013.

1. inbarcation

inbarcation In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    Hello everyone I'm glad I've joined this site as I'm in the process of rehoming 3-4 rescued battery hens , so I need to start learning as much as possible so I can give these poor girls a happy healthy and enriched life

2. hebakatee

hebakatee Hatching

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks a bunch for welcoming me

3. hebakatee

hebakatee Hatching

Jul 30, 2013

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best wishes on the rehoming!!

5. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    Hello there from a fellow UK resident and a fellow rescuer of ex batts. Well done you!

It is very rewarding to see the girls begin to flourish in their new environment but be warned....take it slow with them, it is a huge shock to their system when they first move in. Despite the horror of the battery life, it is very controlled....temperature controlled, light controlled, food controlled... so the sensory overload of their new found freedom can be enough to kill them. I say this from sad experience.

I'm sure the rescue centre would have advised you but....layer's mash to begin with, with a slow change to pellets. Not too many food treats until they are settled. They have trouble climbing and perching to begin with due to their weakened legs through lack of exercise so low perches and ramps into their house. Plenty of bedding to keep them warm as they usually have little feathering (though our current weather will help) and restrict their environment to the area directly outside their house until they feel safe and confident and have 'homed'...make sure they are all going to bed in the house every night of their own accord before you expand their range.

I wish you every luck with your new girls, welcome to the Yard and feel free to message me if you want any help or just someone to share with x

6. inbarcation

inbarcation In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    uk
    I do apologise for that hebakatee so here you go "" hello how are you you welcome to Byc "
    New to forums and the internet so sorry again

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. TurkenLover17

TurkenLover17 In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]even I learned something from Happy Hen's posting - I never considered the sensory overload. And how nice that she is also from UK so she can give you spot on recommendations on food, and other products available in UK. Well done

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by