Saying hi from central MA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by twoisforjoy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. twoisforjoy

twoisforjoy Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Uxbridge, MA
    Hey everyone! I'm Erin, from central MA. I just joined yesterday because I'm thinking of restarting my chicken adventures now that I'm a Real Live Adult and living near land that I can keep chickens on (aka: my parents' house; I'm ten minutes down the road and while I can't keep chickens at my apartment probably, I can probably convince my parents to let me keep them on their land).

I'm not new-new to chickens, in that when I was a kid we had three freerange roosters (thanks a lot, feed store chicks) that slowly got picked off by a neighborhood dog over the course of like five years. But I haven't had any in my adult life, and now that I'm in my thirties I figure it's time. So while I don't have any right now, I'm about to launch the Chicken Campaign that will convince my parents that yes they want to give up an unforested portion of the land they're on so I can live out my farming dreams without being able to buy an actual farm.

I'm looking to get barred hollands because, in my ideal life, I'm doing conservation breeding and contributing back to the community by helping to improve different critically endangered breeds. Or, you know, get them back to matching the breed standard. Whichever.

We'll see how it goes.

I've got other hobbies, of course. A lot of them; I find "doing nothing" to be a hard concept to master. I love to knit and quilt, I'm a writer of urban fantasy books (uh, theoretically. I have like six 90% finished. That last 10% is the killer.) I play a handful of musical instruments (none of them well). And of course, I watch some TV and play some video games. When I'm feeling like I need to do something brain-using things, I build websites. If any of you are looking for a website to be built, let me know! I'm looking to expand my portfolio.

So, yeah. I live in Massachusetts with four cats, a dog, and a rat. And hopefully soon a bunch of chickens down the road. It's great to meet everyone!

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Erin, I hope your chicken campaign is a success!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Erin, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community and will soon be entering the chicken lifestyle. Love the conservation breed angle you're taking! If you need a refresher on poultry raising I would recommend the vast archive of articles in the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And if you want to chat with some local MA poultry folks, find your state thread in this link and say hello:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Good luck with your chickens and other hobbies! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Erin and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Erin, hope everything works out for you. [​IMG]

6. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    Welcome to the ultimate Clan, Club, and Community of Poultry Lovers, twoisforjoy! :welcome
    I wish you only the best of luck in your land-bargaining-for-Chicken-Campaign Plan! ;) That's a very fair negotiation you dreamed up; hoping your parents will think so as well! :fl
    We're so glad you joined BYC!!!!
    Please keep us updated on how everything goes!
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  7. twoisforjoy

twoisforjoy Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thanks everyone! I didn't get shut down immediately, so there's definitely hope!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Erin [​IMG] Welcome!

Fingers crossed for a positive reception [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive [positive thinking [​IMG]], you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by