Saying Hi from Eastern Ontario

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dragonsfly2, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Dragonsfly2

Dragonsfly2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Eastern Ontario
    Good morning flock!
    Welcome to a bright new year.
    I used to keep a variety of birds (chickens, ducks, a goose, some quail) and I really did enjoy it.
    Due to circumstances of life, sold the house and now in transition.
    Looking forward to keeping birds again, probably focusing on some quail and a small flock of chickens (I like the bantam feather feet).
    Making some plans for future spaces, coop, yard design etc, depending on where I move to, and also looking into supplies and suppliers of things and birds/eggs etc.
    My roots started in rural country, and I grew up on a beef farm that also had chickens, geese, turkeys around.
    A variety of experience and stories too.
    Looking forward to getting to know many in the community and who's where etc.
    Also a past member of the EBBA (Eastern Bird Breeders Association), and only bowed out due to lack of time on our end.
    I love birds and don't feel complete without a wee flock to tend and enjoy.
    Someday soon....will be back in the feathers...
    :)
    Cheers everyone!
    Jenny

PS, my avatar is a wild Trumpter swan. I took the pic in Victoria BC in 2011. He/she came cruising over to see if I had any snacks when I was down at the lagoon to see the migratory birds. He was close enough to touch and it was very exciting to have a huge wild bird so close!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :welcome From Virginia, Glad you joined us. :) Beautiful swan!!! Happy new year.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jenny, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your poultry - Happy New Year!!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Jenny, Happy New Year and [​IMG]

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio!!!

6. Dragonsfly2

Dragonsfly2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Eastern Ontario
    Thanks everyone!
    It feels good to be reaching back into a focus again, even if I'm not in a space yet to start rebuilding a new flock space..just...yet.
    Forgot in my intro to mention that along with the past experience of birds, I've had experience with hatching using incubators (hens when broody, but tiny quail eggs do better in the 'bator'), as well as candling some of the eggs that were underway.
    One of my favorite candling moments near took my breathe away....was candling nearly done runner eggs, and a tiny wee webbed foot pressed up to the shell as I had the light to it....was simply amazing to see!!!
    Other favorite hatching moment is opening that lid to about a dozen wee quail, tiny popcorn on legs, running....running! and you gotta collect them all and get them safely out.
    whew.
    They are so small, and so cute!
    (quail we had varied, coturnix, button mostly. Some bobwhite at times..... I had Mountain and Gamble too, but no eggs from the couples I had....not quite the right set up for them to feel comfy enough I guess)

In terms of candling, we build our own box. Using a cardboard box with a light inside it and a small hole cut out to place the egg on.
    a flashlight works well too, but in a dark room and gotta be careful to hold the eggs well.
    Only ever used the hovabator type incubators, both with and without turners.

I'm sure more will surface that I've done as time goes on, but good to be here and such a friendly group of folks!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Beautiful avatar [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by