Saying Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by acpand5, Apr 23, 2017.

1. acpand5

acpand5 New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    Arkansas
    I have been wanting to have my own flock for several years.
    It can now be a reality
    My mother has raised chickens for my whole life but isn't much on caring for anything more than egg production or her favorite type with coloring as her pick

I want both egg layers and chickens for meat for just my family not really interested in anything more until I learn the ropes

I have the ability to let them free range

I do not eat wheat myself and try to stay away from anything that might be a GMO which most corn is
    Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated

So I really want to keep them clean or organic. This will be a learning curve for me as my mothers are not

I had my egg laying breed picked out a few years ago but since I wasn't able to move forward I'm back to square one
    Would love to have suggestions on this so I can spend less time researching

I have the ability and set up for a pretty large flock with areas to keep them separate

Sooooooo excited to get this started
    Any advice welcome

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you to be getting your own chicken adventures started :clap

Our learning Center should have some articles that will help you out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Also the search feature at the top of the page will be off great use to you for specific items you would like to research.

Good luck getting started and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under acpand5 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by