SB Diet - Is she or isn't she an alcoholic/

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Sep 14, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Anne and I went on the South Beach diet today, mainly because I was 206 1/2 pounds this morning, and I can't weigh a pound more than 188 or I get a paunch, so... Anne needs to lose seven pounds to get back to 125. The problem is that for about a year we both have had a martini every day. Now for two weeks neither of us can have any alcohol whatsoever. I'm anxious to see if Anne has delirium tremens and cannot stick to the diet.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am on a variation of the Atkins Diet. Those first two weeks are the absolute worst. I did it many years ago and succeeded in a big weight loss but over the years it crept back up on me.

This second time I thought I was going to flip.

Cold turkey on sugars, caffeine, and my addiction to white foods - milk, potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, etc - I had severe headaches, mood swings, sweating and hot flases - it is like coming off drugs in some crazy DT fashion. Don't even mention cocktails or my red wine with some meals! Arrgh!

If it is that bad when you break the addiction can you imagine the damage that stuff is doing to your body int he meantime?

Good luck to you and Anne.

These days there are some great substitutes and replacements so you don't have to be deprived when you are choose what carbs not to eat.

3. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    joebryant:

I stopped drinking 2 months ago cold turkey -- my normal nite was 5-6 water-glass-sized vodka tonics. The worst part was breaking the HABIT of making drinks after work, not actually missing the alcohol, all though that's different for everyone. I'm down over 20 lbs (from 220 or so ...) and am fitting into clothes that I haven't for AGES. My skin is better, my personality has gone back to "normal", and I just feel better.

I've also been seriously trying to healthy-up my diet, as I'm a diabetic as well. So far, so good.

all the best to you and Ann -- from one alcoholic to another.

Gwen

4. joebryant

MissPrissy, well said!
    BTW, last week I printed out your recipe for Low carb flax seed bread. Anne realized last night that she didn't know what MILLED FLAX SEED was. I wanted to reply to your post to ask you what it was, but I could not find the post anywhere. Today she found it at the health food store and bought two pounds. Other than wheat germ, we've never seen anything that looks like milled flax seed. It's a good thing that she didn't buy "ground" or "whole" at the grocery store ('tain't the same thing as milled).

EDIT: BTW, where is that recipe posted? Do you remember?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good luck to you both Joe. I am down 45 pounds and basically all I did was follow Canada's Food Guide as to portion size. I did change to much more healthy foods and I ruled out all deep fried or really high fat.

Good thing is changing the habit it has found me a bunch of new foods and it is something I can stick with. I'm currently back at it as I decided my original goal might not be low enough, so going to go another 5.

I did think at first I was suffering, so it's your body coping with change, and I craved foods but after ignoring it for a week it was gone. I did change the day I decided, but I did not radically go cold turkey, I changed as I got new foods, or found stuff that fit better that I liked. I hate waste so what I had on hand still got eaten. I new I was in for the long run anyway.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cold milled flax seed preserves more of the omega 3's.

It is mostly fiber - it moves right through.

It makes a fairly good bread and is in many low carb muffins and pancakes - try my low carb pancakes!!! -

Hunt around for some recipes - I have a few on my blog.

When you are dying for a piece of bread and realize you can have 2 or 3 pieces of the flax seed bread for hardly no carbs at all you will want to eat it daily. It is filling, super healthy but doesn't bake like wheat flour. Some of the low carb bread mixes made by Bob's red mill company are great! But for my daily bread I make the flax seed bread a couple times a week and indulged myself.

Pancakes - Smuckers makes a syrup we can eat, too!

http://bigredcouch.com/journal/?p=1657

Flax seed bread

http://bigredcouch.com/journal/?p=1560

Muffins

http://bigredcouch.com/journal/?p=1569

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am on a variation of the Atkins Diet. Those first two weeks are the absolute worst

That's why I did "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves. You keep your carbs under 50g/day, but no nasty induction. The sugar withdrawal still sucks, but I could still have a Michelobe Ultra to help me get through it [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. joebryant

Quote:OMG! Anne just finished making a large, flat, about 1- x 2-foot pan of the low carb flax seed bread. It is absolutely DELICIOUS! We're not going to miss regular bread at all with that on hand. Also, Anne makes super-delicious ham & beans soup. I ain'ta gonna miss the cornbread with it now either.

Thanks for the URL's.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Miss Prissy, where can i find that flax seed stuff? Walmart? or like a Whole Foods store? I am also going to try Atkins again soon. UGH...

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    joebryant, kudos to you and your lovely Anne for going cold turkey.

I myself have more Continental tastes and prefer to keep a small stable of vices as per Oscar Wilde's advice. (or perhaps this is advice I would imagine he'd have given)

[​IMG]

Good luck! And we'd love to see before and after pics showing your shining selves all bathed in the light of clean livin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by