scab on neck - previously inflamed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by superchemicalgirl, Jan 15, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This chick hatched 2 weeks ago. Last week I noticed that its neck had this pretty large inflamed area on the back of its neck. Today the inflammation is down but now there's some scabbing there. The other chicks are not pecking it. I have other turkens and they don't have this.

Maybe it got burnt by the heat lamp, which is about 18 inches from the brooder floor??

I'm not treating it (doesn't look to me like it needs to be) but was wondering if any of y'all have seen anything like this or have any idea what caused it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, I don't think I've seen anything like that before-especially in a little baby chick.
    I've never had Turkens before, so I'm really no help-sorry.
    Maybe try some Neosporin without pain reliever on it just to make sure he/she doesn't get infected.
    Cute baby, by the way.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could it be a pecked area from the other chicks? just keep on eye on it, if it gets worse, starts to spread, I would isoltae that chick from the others, give them some electrotyte solution for strenght. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by