Scab over eyes. no reaction to light or movements. Pictures included.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Emar, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Emar

Emar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Hi[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG],
    I'm new the the site, and somewhat new to chickens so could use some help. I found a baby chick New Years Eve by my house(I live in Key West Fl,) so naturally I started to care for it. I noticed right away that it's eyes were very squinty and looked strange (I have 4 other chickens so I'm aware of how they should look when they're chicks.) Over the next couple of days it started to form a yellow looking scab over the eyes. It would grow in from the back side of the head. I read some forums on the site that said to wipe it off with a damp towel, so I did and it looked similar to yolk when it came off. I also noticed that the chick wouldn't react to my hand when I went to pick it up. I'm really not sure what's wrong with it. I looked up a few different diseases but it's eyes aren't gray.(Marek's disease) There's still the nasty scab growing over them.(I't snot yellow anymore) I just want to know what it is so I can help it recover.
    -Thank you

2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    give it a half a cc shot of baytrill in the breast for 5 days,that should clear it up.

3. Emar

Emar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    do you by chance have any idea what is wrong with it? Also, where would I be able to purchase baytril? I've searched online and I didn't really find a clear/trustworthy site. Thank you for your help!

4. AshPack

AshPack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    This is a bacterial infection related to mycoplasma but NOT mycoplasma. A mix of amoxinsol and baytril will help. But i imagine as this was posted nearlly 3 days ago the chick is no longer with us? :(

5. Emar

Emar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Nope its still alive and well. So it seems anyway. It eats drinks and seems to be healthy. I'm just not sure where to get this stuff ad how much to give it. I need help!

6. AshPack

Feb 11, 2012
    Well Providing the infection is not getting any worse it may well live normally with these types of infections its not the infection that kills them its the fact they are unable to see to find water or food. I would reccomend getting some amoxinsol trihydrate 50% and you will be looking at 15mg per kilo of bodyweight if the chick is under a kilo adjust accordingly this is the only cheapish drug i think of that you can get in smallish doses to help clear this up. Hope this Helps!

7. Emar

Emar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Yes it does help!! Thank you very much. So I shouldn't give it the baytril? or mix them? I'm not really looking to spend hundreds of dollars on it but I do want to help it, no matter the cost really.

8. AshPack

Feb 11, 2012
    Baytril will help and is worth a try and you can mix baytril and amoxinsol without any problems. Baytril 2.5% should be given at 2.5mg per kilo of bodyweight. If you have more chickens it will not hurt to give them all a dose as some of these infections are infectious through the birds feaces.

9. Emar

Emar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Would I be able to use an oral? That's about all I can find online that I'm comfortable ordering.

10. Emar

Emar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Also what about Lincomycin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by