Scabby corner of her mouth and can't eat much

Hermienanmabel

Hatching
Aug 1, 2020
My 4year old Suffolk developed a dark thin scabby area in one corner of her mouth some time ago which disappeared and then came back again recently. I also noticed that she has become more picky with her eating and appears to have difficulty swallowing. She also has a yellowish grey lesion on the floor of her mouth. She is quite bright in herself but spends more time now resting with tail down and head under her wing ...? because of lack of food/energy. Her droppings are normal but very small.
After reading as much as I could these last few days, I now believe the problem may have started several months ago when I began leaving their leftover afternoon bowl of soaked rolled oats and grain mix in their pen overnight. We live in a tropical region and I'm now really worried that mould/fungal spores may have formed mycotoxins and caused fusariotoxicosis. If so, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how I can manage her .. toxin binding products? feeding? treating oral (and gut ??) lesions. Thankyou.

Last edited:
:welcome Do an on site search on 'canker' and see if that is what she is dealing with.
Thankyou. I disregarded canker because I thought it was contagious and the other girls appear fine. Will do some more searching. Thanks again for responding

Smelt bad so went to the vet. After 1 week of metronidazole the cheesy junk in her mouth cleared up but still a bit scabby in the corner of her mouth. Unfortunately she was still having difficulty swallowing food and today I noticed a firmish 20200817_174750.jpg
lump developing under her beak. Don't know what's going on with the poor girl.

She indeed does not look well at all.

Did you look inside her beak to find out whether this newly build lump originates on the inside/underside of her tongue)? Or is it situated on the outside?

Back
Top Bottom