Scabby things on my roos crest and watles?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Nov 9, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    They look like little black scabs. They don't seam to be alive. What are they , and what is couseing it? [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They may well be scabs. Is he getting pecked?

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

It sounds like Avian pox. It is only lethal for the young or the very old chicken. Most of them recover with no adverse effects and are then immune. It is spread by mosquitoes. They have a vaccine for new chicks and for healthy chickens. Its not an injection but a puncture vaccination given similar to our small pox vaccine. You can get in at http://www.jefferslivestock.com/jeffers-livestock/camid/LIV/ca/135/

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I looked up pics on google , these don't look like that at all! Good to know though. Thanks Dose anyone have an pic of an chicken scab? They look like they are not an part of him. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I tried to search for a picture of scabs on a comb for you, but kept coming up with fowl pox pictures. My Barred Rock's comb got pecked a bit once (someone went after flecks of flying yogurt, I believe). The scabs didn't look like scabs on a human. More like small black dots. They never got worse or had any other color to them and they cleared up. I know there are pictures on here somewhere...

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    That sounds more like them [​IMG]

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    My chickens are always finding ways to get tiny nicks and scratches in their combs, especially the rooster. They look like tiny black dots-- the scabs do, that is. They are often in a line, as with a scratch! Let me see if I have any photos of it on my birds. I'll edit my post if I do...

They look different than avian pox: not as large, no inflammation or swelling, no pus, no change in texture, etc.

EDIT:
    Okay, found a few photos. Not the best examples, but it's what I have! My chickens like to walk around in the berry brush... [​IMG]

Because of the texture of their combs, as clearly seen here... which is bumpy and pebbly, any cuts or scrapes they get tend to skip along the 'pebbles' and create series of scab dots, instead of a long scratch like we'd get on our skin.

You can see the black dots, which are little scabs. They often heal and fall off within a day or three!

A few little scabs on Moa's comb:
    [​IMG]

And a few on Chickadee (note the tip of one of her spikes, and down closer to her beak and nostrils is a larger scab):
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    THATS THEM! [​IMG] Thanks so much every one. [​IMG] whew sigh of relief [​IMG]

9. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, good! [​IMG]

10. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

THATS THEM! [​IMG] Thanks so much every one. [​IMG] whew sigh of relief [​IMG]

Great! Mystery solved!!
    I just keep an eye on the scabs. They always just heal over and fall off (or are eaten by the other hens...) within a very short amount of time. My chickens forages in bushes and thorns and get little scratches daily so it's no big deal. The only time you should worry is in the rare case where something gets infected, so just note any changes in color/discoloration/swelling/oozing/etc. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by