Scabs around vent

Abshans

Hatching
Oct 31, 2022
Hello!
I have 6 chickens we got back in April. We have had no problems until I noticed scab above one of our hens vent a few days ago. Noticed the others were pecking it and I figured she had some poopy butt they were pecking until I really had a good look. Yesterday I found another chicken with scab above and to the side of her vent and another chicken is molting, however has had scab for quite a few days. I cleaned and sprayed for mites with poultry protector but I have not seen any mites. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Hens are eating pooping and laying normally. I tried to attach some pics- but looks like they just got done with a nice dust bath. Any other advise?!
89D793D9-E7A4-49F6-A31C-43115911D825.jpeg

Attachments

• EEC341A4-4AF3-400E-8EE2-7EE24ABCF6B5.jpeg
    EEC341A4-4AF3-400E-8EE2-7EE24ABCF6B5.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 7A7B4052-0856-4CBA-AE56-603D6B03A075.jpeg
    7A7B4052-0856-4CBA-AE56-603D6B03A075.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 586569A7-6A7C-4D8A-A1D2-AFC2BDE919D9.jpeg
    586569A7-6A7C-4D8A-A1D2-AFC2BDE919D9.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 15
This looks like possible vent pecking and cannibalism. It can lead to death if not stopped. Over crowding, boredom from not getting outside to free range, too much light inside the coop, and feeding less than 16% protein in a well balanced feed are some possible causes. Some more aggressive breeds may be more prone. I would,spend some time with them or use a game cam to see what is going on. Separate the pecked birds. Here is a good link to read:
https://extension.psu.edu/poultry-cannibalism-prevention-and-treatment

Ok, so there's probably not an issue with space.
Is one of them pecking them that could have caused the wounds?
I noticed a few of the hens pecking our white chicken so I’ve separated her but kept her in the coop so they don’t have to be re introduced and she’s been looking about the same. I don’t have a picture, but I noticed a red scab above one chickens vent who I’ve never seen get pecked and another chicken has a small yellow scab above her vent and she is one of the higher in the pecking order

This looks like possible vent pecking and cannibalism. It can lead to death if not stopped. Over crowding, boredom from not getting outside to free range, too much light inside the coop, and feeding less than 16% protein in a well balanced feed are some possible causes. Some more aggressive breeds may be more prone. I would,spend some time with them or use a game cam to see what is going on. Separate the pecked birds. Here is a good link to read:
For our 6 chickens our run is 8x16 so I don’t think it’s too small. Feed is 16%. I’ve noticed our rhode island red is definitely the most aggressive, but I’ve also notice they all are pecking each other. On weekends they are free ranging 5 hrs a day and week days 1-2 hours a day usually. We are trying to get more things for them to do in the coop since we are losing daylight hours.

For our 6 chickens our run is 8x16 so I don’t think it’s too small. Feed is 16%. I’ve noticed our rhode island red is definitely the most aggressive, but I’ve also notice they all are pecking each other. On weekends they are free ranging 5 hrs a day and week days 1-2 hours a day usually. We are trying to get more things for them to do in the coop since we are losing daylight hours.
I’ve really been looking at everyone’s vent and 4 of the 6 have the scabs-some worse than others, but if I separated those with scabs and those without I think some of those with scabs are pecking others as well

Back
Top Bottom