scabs on combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindsayB, Jun 17, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    my norfolk grey hen has scabby bumps all over her comb, I have no idea what it is. She is still eating and drinking great! It doesn't even seem to bother her. I'm wondering if she and they other big hen I have are pecking eachother or something. My other hen had a scab on her comb a few days ago but it healed fast and is almost gone. Any ideas what could be going on?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds like a pecking issue to me. Do you have a roo? He could easily be doing that if he's trying to keep the hens in line. If not, it might be a squabble going on with the pecking order thing. [​IMG]

3. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Nope I don't have any roosters, just 4 hens. 2 are 15 weeks and 2 are 24 weeks. I think our newest chicken (the one with the scabs) is trying to be the dominant hen.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's certainly possible...
    Sometimes they scratch too and get some scabs on their combs or wattles.

5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    so ya'll don't think its a disease or something serious? I wouldn't want tp put the rest of them at risk...

6. SpottedCrow

No, I don't think it's a disease...
    Or they'd all mostly likely have it.

7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    okay thanks! is there anything I could put on the comb to help it heal? It looks pretty gross...

8. SpottedCrow

No, I'd just leave it alone...
    Is it all over the comb or just certain places?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These pictures are actually from BYC...

9. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Could be Fowl Pox. Mine all got it 2 years ago when we had an invasion of mosquitos. I worried about it till I read everything I could find on the subject. Luckily it was the dry form, & it eventually went away after about 4 months. It didn't bother them at all, just looked awful. The other form is deadly---it gets in their mouths. Somebody else that has been through it with their chickens might can tell you more about it.

10. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    it looks just like that pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by