Scabs on face? Fowl Pox?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ryanbris, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Ryanbris

Ryanbris New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi, I am new to the world of chicken owning and was a little worried about one of my hens. My hen (Platnium Sussex) is 4 months old and over the last two weeks I have noticed scabs on her face appearing (under eye and near beak) and seemingly getting bigger. I wasn't too sure if it was something that perhaps may have gone on its own but I'm concerned it will escalate into something bigger if it serious. It also looks like now she is getting black spots in her little comb. Is this fowl pox? When I bought her I was advised she had received her vaccinations but I can't recall what the vaccination covered. I have two other hens who dont have any scabs and all seem happy when free ranging during the day, they eat and drink plenty. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think I am in agreement with CTKen - look looks like a pecking wounds from other birds. Hope so, anyway. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x3 on the likelihood those are pecking injuries...I hope the members over on the ER forum can help you with treatment.

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy neighbour [​IMG] Welcome!

At the risk of sounding like an echo, I too agree that they look more like pecking injuries to me than fowl pox but definitely check it out with the folks on the ER Forum.

There are a few of us Aussies that congregate on this thread if you would like to join in, you would be welcome: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-that-funny-little-island/32580#post_18110361

Best wishes to you and your flock.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Ryanbris

Ryanbris New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks everyone for the welcome, apologies for posting in the incorrect forum but appreciate your help though!

Glad to hear that it may just be pecking injuries, poor thing. Interesting however as I thought she was the top hen as she seemed to be doing all the pecking!

Looking forward to being a contributing member to BYC! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She is a beautiful girl. I hope you find a solution to the problem.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You did not post on the wrong forum! The idea of this forum is for new members to introduce themselves, and if they have a question, we try to steer them to the best forum for advice. It helps new members begin to navigate BYC, which is our goal.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by