1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

scabs on silkies legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DebbMurry, Feb 11, 2013.

1. DebbMurry

DebbMurry New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up this trio of silkies yesterday and before I noticed their legs I bought them. They looked fabulous otherwise, but what is this? I saw it today when i was looking for mites and lice and other nasty stuff (they are in quarantine). i dont know why i didnt check their legs yesterday, and now im really kind ticked off at myself.

its white, and hard as a rock. any ideas on how to get rid of this stuff?

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    scrub it with a toothbrush? or soak it with a rag that you put baking soda on, then scrub it? it doesnt look good..

3. DebbMurry

DebbMurry New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    okay i scrubbed them, but i didnt use baking soda as i dont have any lol
    the actual scales are uprooted, its disgusting. No mites/lice. ??

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Look and see if you think it is scaly leg mites. Not sure if it is, but you can look at some pictures on google and see. Does the white stuff come back when you wash it off? If it is mites, you can get stuff to treat it. I would not just use Vaseline if it is as that looks nasty and "smothering" mites sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Do you have pour on Invamycian ( sp) ? everyone who comes to my house gets some unless they have been treated right before they came to the house. I don't take a chance I missed that they have mites.

5. DebbMurry

DebbMurry New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    I looked and i think its a really bad case of that. I caught it early enough on the two hens, but the rooster I dont think will ever be the best.

I heard about smothering them with vegetable oil? I dont have any invamycian..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by