Scalder advice

RaulandJeanette

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Virginia
I'm looking for recommendations for a scalder. I'm looking for one that isn't super expensive but good deal for the money. I need one for processing between 100 -200 birds a year. Anybody recommend ones you've used?

I'm looking for recommendations for a scalder. I'm looking for one that isn't super expensive but good deal for the money. I need one for processing between 100 -200 birds a year. Anybody recommend ones you've used?
Propane burner with a turkey fryer pot is pretty reliable. I use an electric scalder that I made from a laundry sink and a water heater element now. But I keep my old propane burner and fryer pot in my abattoir just in case - because it's that reliable. It heats water up fast and will keep it there while dunking birds all day. I've done 250/year for the last couple years. This year doing 600.

Propane burner with a turkey fryer pot is pretty reliable. I use an electric scalder that I made from a laundry sink and a water heater element now. But I keep my old propane burner and fryer pot in my abattoir just in case - because it's that reliable. It heats water up fast and will keep it there while dunking birds all day. I've done 250/year for the last couple years. This year doing 600.
:goodpost: I love my turkey fryer setup. Very versatile.

I have used the turkey fryer in the past and it worked okay, but kind of a pain to maintain a steady temperature all day. So to simplify the process I made an electric one. I used an electronic controller (about $100) a 30 gallon plastic barrel and a hot water heater heating element. It takes a little while to initially heat up, but once it's at the selected temp it maintains a 1 degree tolerance (or whatever you set it at). I can process all day and never mess with it, works great.

Last edited:
Use a water heater, preferably one with foam insulation (Marathon). I use an 80 gal from landfill, cut down about a third of the way, use the standard element and thermostat with either 110v 0r 220v. Start night before and holds temp well for 60 to 80 birds at a time, maybe more.

Back
Top Bottom