1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scalders

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaku, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

What does everyone use for a scalder? I want to find a better setup than the turkey fryer I've been using. The Whizbang guy, Herrick Kimball, has plans for a nice one on his site, but it runs about $800 to build it!

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I'm sorry , ha ha hee hee, I thought you said $800.oo.. LOL hee hee

For $20.oo more, you should be able to teach the chickens to jump in by themselves..

I use a jumbo sized pot with my deep fryer burner.. it is about 3 times larger than the pot that comes with the deep fryer..

I can dunk a 30 lb turkey..

I saw where somebody else used a galvanized garbage can.. I like that idea..

still waiting for my rubber fingers from Kimball... maybe this week.?

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I saw he had them on backorder awhile back- but that's been awhile. Good luck trying to get ahold of him, too- I called and emailed and got NOTHING until my stuff showed up on my doorstep. Yup, $800. I can't imagine that for a scalder!! His logic is that some of the higher end ones are $1000 and his has an auto dunker. To be fair though, he says you can save a bit of money by salvaging parts, but it didn't look like much of a savings. Personally, if I was willing to spend that much, I'd just buy one!

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  5. Motel Chix

Motel Chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Here is what I am using works great.
    [​IMG]

6. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey! Great idea! I'm going to buy a trash can today- for scalding turkeys!

7. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Thanks for the great idea with the turkey fryer base and a trash can. That was the hardest part of the first processing experience. Couldn't get enough hot water to scald. Once we did, the plucking wasn't bad at all. We will need to do more turkeys and ducks still this winter.

8. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Motel Chix,

What size trash can are you using? How do you keep the scalding water at temp?

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Interesting. I plan on doing it the way my parents did, build a fire in the fire pit, put the big canner on it and keep adding more water as I need to. $800, geez, why?

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    It looks like about 12 to 15 gal to me.. I like the volume of water plus the depth.. with that volume
    the water should not cool down real fast.... and the water should not overflow the sides when a bird is sloshed around in it..

BTW that is the set-up that I had mentioned in my earlier post..

........jiminwisc..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by