1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scalding and plucking~ VS ~skinning the whole thing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 4H kids and mom, May 29, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    We are going to be doing some of our Cornish next week (about 7 or 8 of them) and I'm wondering if its worth the hassle to pluck them. I've heard that the smell with scalding is kinda gross and then you still have the "hairs" to worry about. This true?

My DH loves the skin. The kids and I don't care one way or another. I usually pull mine off because I try not to eat all that fat..... [​IMG] So which is easiest, cleanest, quickest? Is there a trick I can learn so I can skin some but leave the skin on some to appease the DH?

Also, there is a 'meat market' in town that will process the birds for me, (cull them, clean them, pluck them, dress them, USDA inspect them, wrap them up nice, etc) for about $2.50/bird. Is it worth it?

I don't mind the idea of doing it myself, but $2.50 to have someone else do it, doesnt sound that bad to me. Anyone ever done this? What was your experience like (good or bad)? How can I be sure I get MY birds back?

Lastly, about how long will it take to 'process' 7 or 8 birds of about 5 pounds each? I would be doing this myself while the DH is at work.

Thanks!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    $2.50 is dirt cheap, go for it!

You do get used to the wet feather smell. It smells strangely tangy to me now. I guess, the point is that you get over it.

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    I'd pay the $2.50! I wish someone around my area still did that.
    My DH skins our birds.
    None of it is a fun job.

4. iwanteggs

iwanteggs Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I've never done it and I already know I would pay $2.50.

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife plucks the chickens beautifully I love the way they look after she plucks them better than a professional. She tells me the trick is not to use scalding hot water but a warm water right off the stove.

6. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I think we all need Baryarddawg's wife! [​IMG]

I would pay the money to spare myself the experience, probably. If I had to, I would do it, of course, but it would probably be pretty traumatic at the ripe old age of 40 to kill & dress them-- especially alone!

7. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    2.50 does sound like a deal. Consider if you do 2 an hour is your time worth $5 an hour? heck do 4 an hour 10 bucks an hour.

Me..well the wife goes to bed around 10, and when I don't join her [​IMG], I have a couple hours that I can get them done...

I also do not have a processor in town... would have to drive an hour to get to one. Not worth it at these gas prices.

8. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    We scalded & plucked ours. It does smell, but it's not that bad. We processed 10 chickens in about 5 hours -- with an additional hour off about midway for a lunch that neither of us really felt like eating. [​IMG]

We have 15 more meat birds coming (not sure when; the co-op says the hatchery is behind for some reason) and I plan to find someone else to do the work. I like knowing I can do it . . . but I'd really like having someone else do it![​IMG]

9. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Mom always plucked, --you mentioned the "hair" on the chicken. Mom singed it off--worked perfectly. She would just roll up a magazine page, light it and run it over the chicken, singing off the few scattered hairs after plucking. (Hmmm, that looks funny. I am trying to say Singe, not sing!. LOL)

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I skin for my own use because it is cleaner and much quicker in general. With cornish, there aren't really those little hairs to worry about because they are so young. I wouldn't pay 2.50 for someone to do it but that's just me and I'm poor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by