scalding pot

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by peteyfoozer, Aug 13, 2013.

1. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    We have a 4 1/2 month old WBB but I don't think he will fit in the turkey fryer pot to scald him so we can pluck him. What do all of you use to scald these really big birds???

2. CodyD

CodyD New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Waller, TX
    Use a number 3 wash tub (galvanized). Be careful, bottom of it will get black with soot. You can also heat large stones in fire and place in the #3 tub until water reaches desired temp. - that way you don't mess up mama's wash tub.

An ice chest would work as well - but hot water will ruin it.

Hope that helps. cd

3. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I would avoid anything galvanized, it isn't considered food safe. The zinc can be cooked off and isn't healthy to breath. Myself I would look for a food grade barrel, like the type everyone makes smokers out of.

4. junkprospector

junkprospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    Boise, ID
    i have some wine kegs - i was thinking of cutting the top out of one of these any using it... think that would work? it's maybe 25 gallon capacity, pretty wide at the mouth. i was thinking of having the top cut out with a plasma cutter

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
  6. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
  7. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    If they are stainless and not wood, that would work fine. I don't know what wood would do.
    This is the kind of pot I use, too. They are sold for boiling seafood, but might be found at a garage sale or on CL. Make sure your water is 155 degrees. Hotter water could tare the skin!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by